·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled out a support request to see if they didn´t mind me changing the TIM,
and to my surprise they didn´t.

Quote:

Dear Sir
It's fine, do not damage any hardware from the components. Thanks.
Regards

To post a response please go to the link below.

Link: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/suppo...53102G8674448S
To create a new topic please go to the link:
Link: Create New Topic.
Thank You

Sapphire Tech Support

This will be the second time. The first board stopped working about a week after I applied MX2.

I´m not sure if it was something I did, or a freak coincidence. This time I thought I´d ask for some tips as it took a month to get the MB back from RMA.
Does the TIM type matter ? I have some MX2 and OCZ freeze.

This is the MB.

http://www1.sapphiretech.com/en/prod.../276image2.jpg

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It doesn't matter what TIM you use, some will give you better temperatures but you'll be fine with something like what you have or Arctic Silver 5

I doubt the mobo dying was anything to do with what you did. I reapplied thermal paste to both my mobos in the last year due to adding a watercooling NB block and mine have been perfectly fine

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I would remove the thermal pads and put some TIM down

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Just to add, AS5 is conductive, so be careful where you get it, you could potentially short the board and damage it.MX-3 or Freeze are safe

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes
View Post

Just to add, AS5 is conductive, so be careful where you get it, you could potentially short the board and damage it.MX-3 or Freeze are safe

AS5 is capacitive not to be mistaken with conductive. Just figured Id clear that up.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , I sorted the TIM mess out.

In all it´s naked glory

The TIM was caked on very thick and like hard plastic. Such a shame, going to all that trouble designing a nice heat sink and using crappy TIM.

Here you can see a manufacturing defect. This was in the same place on the first board as well, but it was split open slightly.

This is why I couldn´t replace the thermal pads with TIM as they were about 3mm thick

This was just a follow up really and a good excuse to throw a few photo´s in.I ended up using the MX2 and my temps dropped about 5-6c which I´m happy with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts