Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
It's very good, but it is a non-reference card so you might run into issues if you go aftermarket cooler. I would say it's worth the extra 40 over the stock version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102883

I have a 4870 vapor x and it did really well under load. Not as good as my t-rad 2, but very good non the less.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by scaz
View Post

It's very good, but it is a non-reference card so you might run into issues if you go aftermarket cooler. I would say it's worth the extra 40 over the stock version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102883

I have a 4870 vapor x and it did really well under load. Not as good as my t-rad 2, but very good non the less.

I heard that a 4870 vapor x is good for ocing. That is why a bought the 5870 vapor x.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
I heard that a 4870 vapor x is good for ocing. That is why a bought the 5870 vapor x.
Tha bad thing is, that is the Revision 2 of the card. They removed software voltage control, so your overclock is going to be limited to what you can get with stock volts. The reference cards have software adjustable VRMs, so they will clock much higher.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,643 Posts
Without voltage bumps my 4870 vapor-x couldn't OC really at all.

Flash your 5870 to a voltage tweak BIOS and have some fun.
4870 Vapor-X with fan at 100% kept load temps around 48C for me at 800mhz clock. Like I said, that was without voltage tweaks though.

Also, if the 5870 works like the 4870, running that fan hard helps with your memory temps and everything very significantly. Well designed cooler in that regard.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by criminal View Post
Tha bad thing is, that is the Revision 2 of the card. They removed software voltage control, so your overclock is going to be limited to what you can get with stock volts. The reference cards have software adjustable VRMs, so they will clock much higher.
If it is true , then I will use a different bios to unlock the voltage control. I did it with my 2 hd5770 cards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
If it is true , then I will use a different bios to unlock the voltage control.
You can't. It uses a non-reference pcb.

Edit: Meaning, they removed the software adjustable VRMs. A bios flash will not add those back to the card.

Edit 2: Also, you should have picked the card up here: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...rodlist=search
Saved yourself about $40.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitpc313 View Post
good card but i would of waited a couple days for Fermi.
The Fermi is dead.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by criminal View Post
You can't. It uses a non-reference pcb.

Edit: Meaning, they removed the software adjustable VRMs. A bios flash will not add those back to the card.

Edit 2: Also, you should have picked the card up here: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...rodlist=search
Saved yourself about $40.
That is odd. People said the same thing about my 5770 and I got them running at 1000 core and 1400 memory.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
That is odd. People said the same thing about my 5770 and I got them running at 1000 core and 1400 memory.
Well, I could be wrong, I actually never owned the card. I just know I have seen a few posts here and there talking about it. Good luck to you. It is still an awesome card.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by criminal View Post
Well, I could be wrong, I actually never owned the card. I just know I have seen a few posts here and there talking about it. Good luck to you. It is still an awesome card.

They lock the voltage on the card, but using a unlock bios or voltage tweaker bios will let you use MSI afterburner program to oc it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post
Without voltage bumps my 4870 vapor-x couldn't OC really at all.

Flash your 5870 to a voltage tweak BIOS and have some fun.
4870 Vapor-X with fan at 100% kept load temps around 48C for me at 800mhz clock. Like I said, that was without voltage tweaks though.

Also, if the 5870 works like the 4870, running that fan hard helps with your memory temps and everything very significantly. Well designed cooler in that regard.

The voltage on the blue PCB Rev.2 boards cannot be adjust by any means that do not involve soldering apparently.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top