Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So my laptop is about 3-4 years old now. It was one of the first gen Vista laptops. So essentially, it is severely underpowered and to be quite frank, sucks, big time. It's a netbook with a 17inch screen.

I am going to be wiping it out as Vista is painfully slow at this point and trust me I have done everything. (Msconfig, disk defrag, etc.). I am going to be installing Xubuntu or Gentoo.

But, I thought I'd do away with my 5400RPM 120GB hard drive which is a leading factor in its slowness.

I want to purchase one of these: WD Scorpio Black 250GB

It is a SATAII hard drive. My laptop, Acer Aspire 9410Z's onboard controller is for SATAI or SATA 1.5Gb/s.

I was wondering if it would work in it...I just downloaded the latest BIOS and will flash it when I feel like turning on the laptop (you know takes about 5 minutes to start up).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLaw
View Post

Hi,

So my laptop is about 3-4 years old now. It was one of the first gen Vista laptops. So essentially, it is severely underpowered and to be quite frank, sucks, big time. It's a netbook with a 17inch screen.

I am going to be wiping it out as Vista is painfully slow at this point and trust me I have done everything. (Msconfig, disk defrag, etc.). I am going to be installing Xubuntu or Gentoo.

But, I thought I'd do away with my 5400RPM 120GB hard drive which is a leading factor in its slowness.

I want to purchase one of these: WD Scorpio Black 250GB

It is a SATAII hard drive. My laptop, Acer Aspire 9410Z's onboard controller is for SATAI or SATA 1.5Gb/s.

I was wondering if it would work in it...I just downloaded the latest BIOS and will flash it when I feel like turning on the laptop (you know takes about 5 minutes to start up).

Thanks.

It should work without an issue. The drive may or may not have a jumper to force SATA 1.5Gbps operation if necessary...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

It should work without an issue. The drive may or may not have a jumper to force SATA 1.5Gbps operation if necessary...

Yup, some SATA 1.5Gbps controllers have issues so HDDs sometimes have a jumper to force SATA 1.5Gbps mode. However, it seems these are less common now.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Possibly the biggest issue(s) you might have is the old Acer Aspire early Vista laptops were a pile of xxxx... well most of them anyway

Just had one in which I couldn't find the issue with for ages, went through removing each part, then moved on to mem testing it... finally discovered that the bottom RAM SLOT, not the actual stick ... was bad... Acer laptop Mobos FTL

anyway you shouldn't have any problems attaching a 3Gbit drive to a 1.5Gbit controller, the WD drives used to have a jumper, but I was just reading, and they don't have them any more on their laptop range...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan View Post
Possibly the biggest issue(s) you might have is the old Acer Aspire early Vista laptops were a pile of xxxx... well most of them anyway

Just had one in which I couldn't find the issue with for ages, went through removing each part, then moved on to mem testing it... finally discovered that the bottom RAM SLOT, not the actual stick ... was bad... Acer laptop Mobos FTL

anyway you shouldn't have any problems attaching a 3Gbit drive to a 1.5Gbit controller, the WD drives used to have a jumper, but I was just reading, and they don't have them any more on their laptop range...
I agree. I usually don't mind Acer because they are cheap and generally work but the early Vista laptops sucked. I didn't know any better. Oh well.

So I thank everyone for their help. Haven't been home this weekend. Down the shore. I apologize for leaving everyone hanging.

Haven't bought anything but I am still trying to figure out which one I am getting.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts