1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
How are you determining that it's functioning at SATA II?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you determining that it's functioning at SATA II?
i used HWINFO64, and Crystal Disk Info. all of them reported it only supported sata 300. but in my desktop those very same programs report it as supporting sata 600 and that it is running sata 600.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
whats your model # of your motherboard in your desktop and what is the model # of your laptop?

sounds to me there is an interface issue at hand.

in short, I'm thinking your limited in your laptop to use sata II in your HDD slot and you may have the option of sata II and III on your motherboard.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,878 Posts
what laptop?
what storage controllers are inside both laptop and desktop?

Its very normal that a desktop gets better performance out of a harddrive than a laptop. The desktop usually has a better chance at having a full featured storage controller and better driver support.

50mb/s is actually pretty typical of a smaller 2.5" harddrive from toshiba. my toshiba 256gb harddrive that is about 8 years old performs a bit slower than yours.

Keep in mind. sata gen 1 STILL allows up to 150mb/s transfer speeds, minus overhead, so probably 120 is more likely.

your drive is not underperforming due to sata interface generation

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
whats your model # of your motherboard in your desktop and what is the model # of your laptop?

sounds to me there is an interface issue at hand.

in short, I'm thinking your limited in your laptop to use sata II in your HDD slot and you may have the option of sata II and III on your motherboard.
THe desktop motherboard is Asus Z87 Sabertooth. my laptop is a DELL Precision M4800 and it does have Sata 6gb it was confirmed by dell and the service manual lists it as Sata 6gb. I did toss my desktop SSD in my laptop without reinstalling windows 10 and everything said sata 3 and crystal disk mark confirmed 550 read and 500 write.

what laptop?
what storage controllers are inside both laptop and desktop?

Its very normal that a desktop gets better performance out of a harddrive than a laptop. The desktop usually has a better chance at having a full featured storage controller and better driver support.

50mb/s is actually pretty typical of a smaller 2.5" harddrive from toshiba. my toshiba 256gb harddrive that is about 8 years old performs a bit slower than yours.

Keep in mind. sata gen 1 STILL allows up to 150mb/s transfer speeds, minus overhead, so probably 120 is more likely.

your drive is not underperforming due to sata interface generation
I have tested a different drive in the laptop one i know is sata 6gb and it also reports sata 3gb in the laptop. i have no idea what the laptop uses for a storage controller. my best guess is the intel mobile controller for the Q87 chipset in it. as for the desktop i always connect them to the intel Z87 controller i had issues with asmedia in the past. But thats really slow, i benchmarked it in my desktop and got a solid 120MB/s read and about 100 MB/s write.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
it sounds like a limitation on your laptop and HDD at that point, I would assume.

Look in your BIOS and see if you are running IDE mode and you'll need to change it to AHCI mode to run a better performance, if it's not set.

tid bit too -

if it comes down to it, you can put an msata SSD in it if you wanna make it gogogogog ( this would require AHCI also for full bandwidth)

Attachments

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it sounds like a limitation on your laptop and HDD at that point, I would assume.

Look in your BIOS and see if you are running IDE mode and you'll need to change it to AHCI mode to run a better performance, if it's not set.

tid bit too -

if it comes down to it, you can put an msata SSD in it if you wanna make it gogogogog ( this would require AHCI also for full bandwidth)
good idea on the AHCI. but i already checked that. that was my first thought still the same. ill see if i can find a cheap MSATA SSD i didnt even know this laptop had an MSATA slot o.0

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
yeah that sucks... I am still leaning towards the drive just not being up to par ( call me crazy )

I wouldnt want you to spend the money if you dont have to but that's what i'm thinking it's just the drive itself at this point.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah that sucks... I am still leaning towards the drive just not being up to par ( call me crazy )

I wouldnt want you to spend the money if you dont have to but that's what i'm thinking it's just the drive itself at this point.
what i ended up doing was taking the SSD out of my desktop and putting in the laptop, the mechanical drive works fine for my desktop. its plenty fast for my os, my games are on as much faster 2tb drive so meh 4 minute boot times are not a big deal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts