Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got windows on a SATA segate drive with 8meg buffer now, but I recently acquired a Maxline 3 PATA 300g drive with a 16meg buffer--I'm wondering which would be faster?

I figured the extra 8meg buffer might help offset the 133mb/s transfer rate of the PATA.

thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7200, sorry about that
Looking at the results in the sticky, the 16meg buffer ATA drives fair nicely it seems

·
Registered
604 Posts
In the end it's all up to you, personally, I'm getting ready to toss my PATA (at least as the drive with my OS) and just run SATA. I might keep the PATA for file storage but not much else. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's physical limitations so I might even sell it... *shrugs*

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguecloud

I've got windows on a SATA segate drive with 8meg buffer now, but I recently acquired a Maxline 3 PATA 300g drive with a 16meg buffer--I'm wondering which would be faster?

I figured the extra 8meg buffer might help offset the 133mb/s transfer rate of the PATA.

thanks

Don't be fooled by thinking your SATA drive is making full use of its speed (150 MB/sec). A typical SATA drive (such as the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9) has a transfer rate of about 58 MB/sec.

Check out this webpage where it says:

Quote:

300MB/s Serial ATA transfer rates are all the rage, but not even the fastest 15K-RPM SCSI drives can sustain transfer rates that saturate a 150MB/s Serial ATA interface, giving 7,200-RPM drives little hope of benefiting from anything faster.

Also check out this webpage from Seagate where it says:

Quote:

Disc drive data rates have not exceeded ATA100 limits yet, so why should I switch to SATA?

From the same webpage on the Seagate website you can read about Sata's advantages:

Quote:

SATA interface requires less voltage, meaning better power consumption and management in both desktop and mobile applications. The thinner cable allows for flexible designs and improved airflow in smaller form factors.

I'd say use the PATA drive since it has 16MB cache. Just make sure you use round ide cables with it to help keep good airflow within your case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts