Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new GIGABYTE motherboard, but it only has SATA 6GB/s connectors on the board.

Before I buy it, I want to know if I can connect my SATA 3GB/s devices (Cd Drive, HDD, eSATA port) to them without issues except for the reduced speeds I suppose.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiFTed View Post
Thanks for the quick answer
My question probably sounded dumb lol
No its not dump, a few SATA 3.0Gbps HDDs have issues with the SATA 6.0 Gbps slots on some motherboards. So you may find an option in the BIOS to downclock the SATA speed.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
What board are you looking at?

I would stay away from SATA 6Gbps on Gigabyte boards at the moment as they are using the Marvel Yukon controller...which absolutely SUCKS in RAID and is slow compared to the Intel ICH10R.

I dont use the SATA 6gbps on my board even though I have two C300's...

I got 350MB/s seq read on the SATA 6gbps ports and I now get 540MB/s on the SATA 3Gbps ports...

• Rep+
Reactions: LiFTed

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiFTed View Post
My question probably sounded dumb lol
Remember - there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Rep+
Reactions: Korruptive

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Yes.

SATA is supposed to be fully backward compatible.

However in the bad-old 1.5 Gbit/s and 3.0 Gbit/s days, there were some SATA 1.5 Gbit/s chipsets that wouldn't detect 3.0 Gbit/s drives, so some drive manufacturers put a jumper on their drives to "limit to 1.5 Gbit/s operation" which helped

Generally what happens is the standards are clear, but the chip implementers get lazy and don't implement the specifications correctly, and something doesn't work in the future.

I've not heard of SATA 6Gbit/s controllers not supporting SATA 3.0 Gbit/s drives, since that would spell death for their product since almost all drives are currently 3.0Gbit/s...

AMD's SB850 which I assume you're referring to, is just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts