Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

1) I noticed that SATA cables come in 4-wires or 5-wires variants and usually the 5th wire is a 3.3V wire which is mostly not used. I was wondering if it is safe to connect a 4-wire SATA power cable to a 5-wire SATA splitter? If that makes any sense.

The reason I asked this is because I ordered some custom cables (4-Pin Sata Cables) and I miscalculated the amount of SATA cables I need for SSD/HDD and H100i, I ordered 2 instead of 3.

2) You know the SATA power cables that comes with the PSU ? They have like 3 to 4 SATA connectors on them - is that considered daisy chaining or splitting? Are both terms the same? Because I've read somewhere that the 5th cable is needed for daisy chaining, need confirmation.

3) My PSU (Supernova G2) only has one peripheral port for one MOLEX cable, can I connect my other peripheral cables to the SATA PSU port?

Thanks !
tongue.gif

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusx View Post

Hey Guys,

1) I noticed that SATA cables come in 4-wires or 5-wires variants and usually the 5th wire is a 3.3V wire which is mostly not used. I was wondering if it is safe to connect a 4-wire SATA power cable to a 5-wire SATA splitter? If that makes any sense.

The reason I asked this is because I ordered some custom cables (4-Pin Sata Cables) and I miscalculated the amount of SATA cables I need for SSD/HDD and H100i, I ordered 2 instead of 3.

2) You know the SATA power cables that comes with the PSU ? They have like 3 to 4 SATA connectors on them - is that considered daisy chaining or splitting? Are both terms the same? Because I've read somewhere that the 5th cable is needed for daisy chaining, need confirmation.

3) My PSU (Supernova G2) only has one peripheral port for one MOLEX cable, can I connect my other peripheral cables to the SATA PSU port?

Thanks !
tongue.gif
1. Yes.

2. Technically, it's daisy chaining but, essentially, they are both the same, as far as the HDDs are concerned, as long as there aren't too many HDDs involved. The fifth wire hasn't been needed for HDDs for years now (if at all).

3. If the port iis labeled for a SATA cable, then I wouldn't recommend connecting any other cable to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts