Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hope I've created this thread in the correct place.

I've searched high and low on Google to see if there is a PCI Slot Card that has SATA Power Connector Extensions built in (something like below):

Automotive lighting Cable Automotive exterior Wire Lego

The reason I'm looking for these is I want to use a Fan Controller that turns on and off with my PC, but have it externally mounted. It will not need to connect to the motherboard, just power.

All the fan controllers I have seen use SATA power (12v) and not USB (5v).

Does anyone know if this exists or if there is another solution for what I want to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Anyone have any ideas?
How old is the one this thinking to receive them?
Does he have a digital camera so to post pictures of his project?
Does he work with electronics, by owning enough quantity of power tools and hand tools?

·
Rig Advisor
3,673 Posts
Or rather than an extension, a sort of Male to Female adapter mounted on a PCI bracket:

View attachment 2528683
Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT Updated picture with correct ends
Was not able to find what you are looking for either, though it would seem to me that this would be an easy project to build yourself. All I think it would require is blank PCI-e slot cover, Dremmel and adhesive. Why not just make what you need?

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Hi all,

I hope I've created this thread in the correct place.

I've searched high and low on Google to see if there is a PCI Slot Card that has SATA Power Connector Extensions built in (something like below):

View attachment 2528639

The reason I'm looking for these is I want to use a Fan Controller that turns on and off with my PC, but have it externally mounted. It will not need to connect to the motherboard, just power.

All the fan controllers I have seen use SATA power (12v) and not USB (5v).

Does anyone know if this exists or if there is another solution for what I want to do?

Thanks!

Why wouldn’t any of the Aquacomputer fan controllers work? USB connection is only needed for setup

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was not able to find what you are looking for either, though it would seem to me that this would be an easy project to build yourself. All I think it would require is blank PCI-e slot cover, Dremmel and adhesive. Why not just make what you need?
I could make it, but I can't find a Male-to-Female SATA Power adapter (a one-piece design like in the image). I guess I could get a sleeved extension and just attach one end to the PCI bracket.

Why wouldn’t any of the Aquacomputer fan controllers work? USB connection is only needed for setup
They all use SATA / MOLEX for power input, so I would still need something like what I'm looking for.

·
Rig Advisor
3,673 Posts
I could make it, but I can't find a Male-to-Female SATA Power adapter (a one-piece design like in the image). I guess I could get a sleeved extension and just attach one end to the PCI bracket.

They all use SATA / MOLEX for power input, so I would still need something like what I'm looking for.
What about this?

or

or you can browse here

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,138 Posts
Seems to me, best way to go about this is DIY.

Grab a couple power extensions for sata, or even a couple Y splitters, and drill a hole in a spare expansion slot cover at the end points of the sata power conenctor location, use a cheap dremel to slot to each hole, then hot glue the power connectors into place.

A little bit of brush-on black paint will cover everything up and make it look presentable.

I have seen the exact item you want before, but I cannot find it again. It was far more popular when SATA power first came out, and external water radiators were still a thing.

Another way to go about this if you only have a small drill bit and drill, is to de-pin the wires of a sata power extension or adapter, and drill a hole for each wire, stick it through a pci cover, and re-pin to the conenctor.

Use some hot glue for vibration resistance to cutting the wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts