Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to upgrade my storage situation. RIght now I have 2 ide 80gb drives, one OS and programs, the other strictly music and videos. Of course, my media storage space is running low. I have 2 sata ports on my MB. I'm considering adding a 250gb sata drive for my music. I could also add 2x80gb sata in RAID 0. I lose storage space but gain speed. I like the idea of having my OS and MP3's separate and I want to know am I better off moving one (either my OS or music) to a sata or moving everything to a RAID 0 drive (2x80).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really gaining any storage then I guess. Crap. Duh. Maybe I ought to wait. I guess I could shoot for 2 160gb satas in RAID 0

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
2x 80 in raid0 =160...not 80

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i meant I already have 2 80 gb ide drives. As far as using RAID 0 for my mp3 storage, I wouldn't really see a performance benefit. If I RAID 0 I'd do it for OS speed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
just get an scsi drive and a controller card. scsi drives run at 320mbs which is faster than two sata drives in raid 0. you can then later add another scsi drive in raid 0 and get 640mbs which is bloody fast!!!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I thought about that. I really just need a fast OS drive and a big media drive. I guess I may just do one big sata drive, like a 250. I don't know if I even feel like screwing with raid. I'm not in the mood to reformat.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I drop the raptor in for my OS, can I clone the 80gig IDE I have it on now straight to the Raptor? That may work good. Id then have 160 gigs for music

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bentrinh

A fast OS>fast Mp3
Major performance gain

Agreed. Drop a Raptor in there for the OS and then keep your 80s for games, movies, mp3s, etc. That way you wont load your Raptor with junk and you'll have a very fast OS with extra storage.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is sounding better and better the more I think about it. Newegg has the 74gig raptor for 135 after rebate. This a good deal?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StepsAscend

This is sounding better and better the more I think about it. Newegg has the 74gig raptor for 135 after rebate. This a good deal?

Yes, not a lot but it's good compared to other stores

·
Registered
639 Posts
Am doing audio engineering, and just something that hasn't been mentioned.
To run top quality audio you require a hard drive with at least 10,000rpm. For MP'3 etc. a 7,200rpm would be fine. As for RAID, it's a very good idea. The faster the hard drive (in anyway) will boost you audio performance.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Cuthy. I'm using the drive mostly to store and mp3s in usually 192kbps, so 7200rpm is fine for my needs. I would just like the OS speed gained by a 10K drive. I also just purchased an X-Fi ExtremeMusic and can't wait to het back to school so I can install it. Should be an improvement over my onboard audio.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Na prob man. Planning on getting a 15,00rpm Seagate Cheetah later in year to soe some hard core audio work. The X-Fi ExtremeMusic is a great choice, planning on the Fatal1ty myself, but then again i am doing audio engineering and require the quality. Maybe if i can afford i'll get the pro, who knows?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts