Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a new PSU, it's a corsair TX-550M (2021), it's supposed to be pretty good. Unfortunately even though it has 2 sata/Pata output connectors on it, it only came with a single sata cable with 3 sata connectors really close together and a 4 connector molex cable... No comment on the selection of cables, my mistake for not checking.
I have 2 sata ssd and an hdd. The included cable can't reach the hdd cage, so I am forced to use an extension (I can buy a type 4 sata cable from corsair website but I feel dumb spending 10+15€ shipping for a cable that is me t to be used with a 50€ psu, I chould just have bought the 650 or 750watt version for about this money.
So I looked into sata extensions, I ve read that if you go "molex to sata you loose all your data" so I opted for a sata to sata one. Looking at it again it looks as scetchy as a molex to sata one.
So I would like to ask if I should trust it.(picture below)

Circuit component Cable Electrical supply Wire Electric blue
Material property Sunglasses Cable Electrical wiring Circuit component

Circuit component Gas Electronic component Cable Electronic engineering

·
Registered
658 Posts
The wire gauge looks like ok, but anyway how much devices you plan to plug in? Sata devices can be considered low power comparing to anything else, and HDDs/SSD usually uses 12v so you shouldn't have even heating on cable.

Just look it's connected and not shorting qnd it's good to go

·
Senior OCN Member
42,088 Posts
I once ran a Blu-Ray drive with one of those as the PSU cable was a few cm too short
Not the best solution but it worked

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to run just one 1tb hdd. I am not increasing the amount of sata connectors the psu cable has. Just extending one.
I am not concerned about the cable but rather the connectors it has. I ve seen this style of molded connectors melt/catch fire on molex to sata adapters. Supposedly the molding prosces isn't very precise and the pads inside the connector are too close together which sometimes leads to them arcing and eventually bursting into flames. Maybe I am overthinking here but I just wanted to be safe. I suppose when I find a better one/or a better solution I will change it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts