Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone like me who has a part built case TX10 who would like to have a stab at saving caselabs could one of the top people here do the ground work to get a proper discussion group or thread

Is it within reason to get Caselabs under credit protection or can there be a plan so the assets are not sold or is the company out into receiver ship like in the UK

·
Watercooler
528 Posts
Anyone like me who has a part built case TX10 who would like to have a stab at saving caselabs could one of the top people here do the ground work to get a proper discussion group or thread

Is it within reason to get Caselabs under credit protection or can there be a plan so the assets are not sold or is the company out into receiver ship like in the UK
Oh my goodness! I just found the announcement. This just sucks. I was about to order some extra parts on Monday. I hope they will still be available.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts

The only way they can be saved is voting to balance the congress in the mid-term election. Otherwise the tariffs will continue.

·
Watercooler
528 Posts
The only way they can be saved is voting to balance the congress in the mid-term election. Otherwise the tariffs will continue.
That won't fix this problem. It's already too late for CaseLabs

·
Registered
541 Posts
They was on shakey ground for a while,They raised the prices a month ago to match the tariffs so they can't even blame that.It was really a lack of management that killed them off.The guy running it was posting a lot of his political views all over his facebook that could kill your business.They had what a 6 week plus wait for a case you put together yourself?They had no stock in house for a products they was selling thats another big no no.Making parts to order will cost more then having lets say a 1,000 pieces made.Yes it more money up front but you'll get back once you sell some cases.

·
Watercooler
528 Posts
They was on shakey ground for a while,They raised the prices a month ago to match the tariffs so they can't even blame that.It was really a lack of management that killed them off.
We don't know this. It is conjecture.

The guy running it was posting a lot of his political views all over his facebook that could kill your business.
No argument that this can affect your business, but doubtful it was a definite cause of business failure or even a point that mattered.

They had what a 6 week plus wait for a case you put together yourself?
Small business niche and specialty products, it is not uncommon to have wait times or have backlogs even in today's "I want it NOW Daddy!" instant gratification world. My case came assembled. It is a Merlin ST10, so not small. Flat packing is actually a convenience that saves significantly on shipping. The assembly is pitifully easy. Even a Californian could do it. :D :p It is doubtful someone who is building and modding PCs is going to care if they have something else neat-O to put together for their purposes. Also modding is easier when disassembled.

They had no stock in house for a products they was selling thats another big no no.
I worked at a small machine shop and manufacturing business for years that did business with several giant companies as well as small customers. We had lead times on every single product and assembly we made. We made literally hundreds of products/assembly part numbers. A small business can't afford to stock a bunch of parts or product. Anything sitting on a shelf is a no no, unless it is a mission critical item. It represents cash spent with no cash received. Materials to make these products were not stocked in house either. They were ordered as soon as we received an order. There are many variations on Just in Time manufacturing and ordering and the idea is widely used. It also makes things much easier at inventory and tax time.

Making parts to order will cost more then having lets say a 1,000 pieces made.Yes it more money up front but you'll get back once you sell some cases.
This is not necessarily true. The biggest time and cash expenditure is the setup. Creating the fixtures, machining programs, appropriate other tooling and processes is the big issue. Once these are in place, it's a matter of changing over the the machine to make whatever run is needed. Again, items collecting dust is money spent and no money received. If the customer the small business serves goes under, that product(s) becomes a loss. A potential write-off is not a profit. It is a loss.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts

No argument that this can affect your business, but doubtful it was a definite cause of business failure or even a point that mattered.

Small business niche and specialty products, it is not uncommon to have wait times or have backlogs even in today's "I want it NOW Daddy!" instant gratification world. My case came assembled. It is a Merlin ST10, so not small. Flat packing is actually a convenience that saves significantly on shipping. The assembly is pitifully easy. Even a Californian could do it. :D :p It is doubtful someone who is building and modding PCs is going to care if they have something else neat-O to put together for their purposes. Also modding is easier when disassembled.

I worked at a small machine shop and manufacturing business for years that did business with several giant companies as well as small customers. We had lead times on every single product and assembly we made. We made literally hundreds of products/assembly part numbers. A small business can't afford to stock a bunch of parts or product. Anything sitting on a shelf is a no no, unless it is a mission critical item. It represents cash spent with no cash received. Materials to make these products were not stocked in house either. They were ordered as soon as we received an order. There are many variations on Just in Time manufacturing and ordering and the idea is widely used. It also makes things much easier at inventory and tax time.

This is not necessarily true. The biggest time and cash expenditure is the setup. Creating the fixtures, machining programs, appropriate other tooling and processes is the big issue. Once these are in place, it's a matter of changing over the the machine to make whatever run is needed. Again, items collecting dust is money spent and no money received. If the customer the small business serves goes under, that product(s) becomes a loss. A potential write-off is not a profit. It is a loss.
Literally, everything I was going to say lol. Well said! 6 weeks on a made to order part definitely not unheard of for small business, it sucks to wait yes, but they're the only ones that do what they do and you ordered the part knowing this. I waited over 12 weeks to have a precision rifle re-barreled by a well-recognized gunsmith and I provided the barrel! But they had a reputation for great work on my particular rifle so I chose them.

Jake

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
Send them money and they will keep it :)

·
Still here...
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts

Caselabs started out making basicly metal boxes for anything in the early 70s,They started the pc cases in 2010 with the caselabs name.So i really wouldn't call them a small business at all.And tooling wouldn't change since they pretty much made the same few cases for years besides tiny pieces they changed like the front io plate.I'm big in the off road world aka rock crawling,I have seen bumper companies doing the same long wait times like caselabs go under because of it.But the ones that keep products in stock or short waits stick around.Dealing with the public vs other companies is a lot different tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts