Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently discovered that my current motherboard, the Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, though effective, does not bring out the full performance of my computer and its parts.
I am saving up for the Asus Crosshair V (most likely).
I'm hoping the wonderful minds of the OCN will offer advice and suggestions to make my build better.
One thousand thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
are you serious? how did you make that conclusion?

me thinks you just need some vrm cooling, then the money saved for a ssd.

it's your money but this is my advice.

• Rep+
Reactions: Schmuckley

·
Registered
684 Posts
Are you overclocking or stock settings? Also I read your comment in the benchmark section on your profile and your ram timings for that ram are supposed to be 9-9-9-24, or is the wrong ram?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Bravo2010 I want to be overclocking. but everything that I put up on my specs are stock.
The timing for my RAM is supposed to be 7-7-7-21, but it ends up being 9-9-9-24, which I believe to be my motherboard's fault. (though I am not entirely sure)
@rdr09 I am going to be getting a new liquid cooling system as well, but I don't think I need a SSD. If anything, I will just perform a RAID on my two existing SATA hard drives.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You need to set them manually. The motherboard has nothing to do with the RAM since the IMC was moved to the CPU. What model is your RAM?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaredOverdose View Post

@Bravo2010 I want to be overclocking. but everything that I put up on my specs are stock.
The timing for my RAM is supposed to be 7-7-7-21, but it ends up being 9-9-9-24, which I believe to be my motherboard's fault. (though I am not entirely sure)
@rdr09 I am going to be getting a new liquid cooling system as well, but I don't think I need a SSD. If anything, I will just perform a RAID on my two existing SATA hard drives.
Sry mate, I was looking at the ram that you posted in your rig profile which says that, again what ram are you using? Most usally the MOBO sets the ram to it's defaults automaticly so we should start with that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Nice ram, I would go into your bios under Dram timing control and set the timings manually.
under timiing control you looking to change the first 4 values from 9-9-9-24 to

Cas # Lantency 7
Ras#to Cas# Delay 7
Ras# Pre Time 7
Ras# Act Time 21

Your MOBO might have set the timng for what works best for it so those might not work, GL
thumb.gif

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bravo2010!
Well, back to the original topic, do you think I should eventually upgrade to a new motherboard?
I have heard good things about the Asus Crosshair V and IV.
(Now that that problem is out of the way, I am just going to save up for a new liquid cooling system for now)

·
Registered
684 Posts
For sure about the MOBO (Crosshair V) I'm getting that one myself, I mean if you have the budget, go for it . The only issues that board had was that it needed a bios update when the FX's came out but thats been cleared up. The Asus Crosshair V overclocks like a beast has VRM protection OC's great and is good for crossfire. I'm huge supporter of ASUS boards they rarely have issues and always deliver solid performance. If you needed a quick upgrade to hold you over the M5A97 evo is like $100 and delivers high OC's vrm protection (mulltiple heat sinks) and solid performance for the 1100T and has all the features of higher end boards like Crosshair V but half the cost.

·
Premium Member
15,117 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SABERTOOTH-990FX-PB-R&cat=MBB
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CROSSHAIRV-FORMULA-R&cat=MBB
If i was going to get another AMD mobo..it'd be the sabertooth or m4n98TD-evo
I will get one when they release a better chip
rolleyes.gif

.whenever that might be :
thinking.gif
: maybe this spring?
headscratch.gif
I'm so jealous of the lower prices you guys get in the states, the crosshair V is like $200+ in Canada. And ya the sabertooth was my Fav before too, they both have the same chip set and similar performance but if budget isn't a problem I would still go Crosshair V. Do you think AMD will be releasing a better chip that soon or just a revision of the BD?

Ps how many rigs do you have????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only have the one rig, but I have put a lot of my money and effort into it.
ps. I fixed the timing of my ram. I can already tell the performance difference.

·
Registered
684 Posts
cool on the timings, glad your MOBO could handle them
thumb.gif

So when do you think MOBO upgrade is going to be or are you going to wait for the new cpus

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am pretty good on my CPU right now, I have the AMD Phenom II x6 1100T.
I will more than likely just wait for the newer upgrades and see what comes out in the future.
Though the liquid cooling is a must for sure.
And I am not sure how I would add some new heatsinks. I am still fairly new to the rig building game.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have the 1100T too, it's nice and fast chip, good to OC. what kind of cooling were you thinking of? and have you seen these..

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61380&vpn=CWCH100&manufacture=Corsair

I have the H70 and it's really good for cooling but im going to upgrade to the H100 when I get the funds together. As for adding heat sinks, I haven't added any myself but you would better off waiting for the new MOBO because it will aready have them on the board.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was either thinking of this:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32266&zenid=bc747b6f16bbcc26d780fc0699bcb982

or this one(if I am really willing to wait):
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12368/ex-wat-164/Ek_H30_Supreme_HF_360_Advanced_Liquid_Cooling_Kit_EK-KIT_H3O_-_Supreme_HF_360.html

Though I have considered the one that you mentioned as well.
I guess it is just a matter of installation. I'm not too sure how the one you mentioned would work since I already have 2 200mm fans up on the ceiling of my case.

·
PC Gamer
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

i agree with the "Just cool your vrms."
This:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts