Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
When I run at constant frequency and constant core %, the power looks like "sawtooth" !
On the example below, at 1962MHz and core around 40%, the power goes from 35 to 65% peaks, and it's much more linear with frequencies under 1000MHz.
It should be regular, like on my old GTX cards.
It's a new card, slightly OC, do I have an issue ? Or do you guys, have a similar monitoring ?
Thanks for your help

AB is in french ;)
First line is power
Second is core clock
Third is mem clock
And fourth is core usage

Attachments

·
Overclocker in training
14,041 Posts
Hi,
Which manufacture ?
asus/ evga/........
How is the power to the card connected ?
Molex/ vga's from the psu ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
It's a Zotac AMP! 6GB with semi-passive cooler, connected with standard 6pins from an Enermax 550W PSU

·
Overclocker in training
14,041 Posts
Hi,
Can you link to it here
Not sure what a semi passive cooler is :eek:
All the amps I've seen have 3 fans.

·
Overclocker in training
14,041 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
What’s the time scale?

And does the PC exhibit any corresponding problems when the voltage drops occur (artifacts, flickering, etc.)?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are not voltage drops, it's the Power curve.
About scale, hard to say, maybe 2-3 seconds between peaks (40 min total on the screen)
Everything works well, just worried about these "peaks" !

·
Overclocker in training
14,041 Posts
HI,
Try different vga ports on the psu it should have four.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried another connector, but it is still the same.
Btw, my old card, a GTX770, used the double power (near 280W !) but had a linear power curve.
So it's related to the card, am I really the only one ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually, it's a slightly manufactured OC card (1936MHz max), and as I am satisfied (for now), I didn't change anything except memory clock (4000MHz+250MHz).
So the power limit is set to 100%. I'll do some tests by changing it.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,878 Posts
if it is set to 100% perhaps the power percentages you are seeing is the switch between 2D and 3D clocks.

One wya to help prevent this is to go inside the nvidia control panel, and set the power setting to prefer maximum performance. This should leave it running at the standard base clock. In my 1070's case, it was 1519mhz and 4ghz memory

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi mattliston
The 100% power limit is the default value, it was the same for my GTX770 or GTX560Ti 448cores.
I dont understand why it seems curious for you ? I guess we're not talking about the same thing.
But I tried to underclock the core by 30MHz, and kept the power limit to 100% (the bar below core voltage on the main AB window) and you were right !
It's much more stable at high frequency now. Actually the stock core clock was significantly higher than expected, so I guess they underestimated their power limit value, according to potential max boost clock ?
So I want to thank you for your help, I can enjoy FFXV with optimal settings serenely ;)

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,878 Posts
If you load up MSI afterburner and look at the default curve, you will see that many cards actually have a pretty terrible curve to them.

This is why some are very very picky at performance. Yours seems particularly picky!

I like setting a goal for whatever overclock, and then FLATTENING the curve to the right so it never tries to self overclock with higher voltages. you get super stable settings, and a cooler running card depending on how long you are going to spend tweaking it.

Glad I was able to help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, this was my initial question ! I wanted to be at ease because it's a new card.
About the performance, the ****Mark benchs I did were satisfying, and the difference with the GTX770 is huge (almost + 40%).
The OC on 770 was very easy, with fixed voltage and clocks, it seems more tricky with latest cards and gpu boost...
For now I'm in "run-in" period, so I'm still waiting for OC'ing this one. I'll see then !
Bye, next time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts