Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with an agp slot and I threw my current video card in there. Should I expect a significant performance improvement in my gaming(racing only)...as it stands with my current system I get a nice 32 fps average except in a couple spots in GTR2 with everything turned up high and draw distance far. The only thing I cant turn on is shadows or I lose like 5 solid fps. So I was wondering if that would do the trick and then eventually get a 512 card. Or if I'm not going to be able to turn the shadows on without a 512 card at all? I'm sure upgrading to a whole new system is obviously the best option, but it's not the best option for me right now as I just bought the card and the ram I have(which b.t.w. is all my mobo will take)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
4GB of ram, what OS you running. I believe XP only will recognize up to 3GB if I'm not mistaken. Thats also kind of dumb because it rapes your dual channel setups.

for Dual channel your a1 + a2 = b1 + b2 (slots) and it works best if you have all the same chips. so you have 4 slots, that means 2 GB (4x 512MB or 2x 1GB) but then 3GB is dual channel is just dumb because its like an odd number in it all

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
Look at it this way:

Card A has 10 pipelines, 500mhz/1000mhz clocks and 512MB of RAM
Card B has 14 pipelines, 700mhz/1500mhz clocks and 256MB of RAM

Card B will win everytime.

Don't get drawn in by bigger amounts of RAM on video cards - all this allows you to do is:

A) Store bigger, uncompressed textures - while this gives better quality graphics its normally only available at highest settings
B) Give you a bigger e-penis

Therefore, there is no point getting a low end 512MB card - only consider very high end ones

My advice would be to stick with your current card and buy a board with both PCI-E and a AGP slots - I believe you can get both AM2 and 939 versions, as well as Socket T, made by AsRock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts