Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

Speaking to partners it’s become clear that ATI are preparing for a price drop on its high end models including the HD 5850, HD 5870 and HD 5970. In turn we would probably also see some smaller price drops on the HD 5830 and below to simply keep the value of these products in line with everything else.

What’s interesting though is I’m hearing that the price drop will only happen if they feel threatened by NVIDIA and its new GTX 470 and GTX 480 products. There’s a few thing that need to happen with the new GTX 400 series for this price drop to happen.

First the products have to be competitive against the HD 5850, HD 5870 and HD 5970.

Secondly the stock has to be available or at least the impression that mass stock is coming.

While everyone loves a good price drop it’s clear that ATI are only going to do it if they need too. At the end of the day they’re a business and there’s no need to drop the price if the GTX 400 series doesn’t compete against the HD 5000 series.

Source

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Ah, but increased market share comes with lower prices.
I say, drop'em. Like it's Fermi hot.

• Rep+
Reactions: shadman

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Isn't this what we all though of/know already? AMD will not drop prices if the GTX400 isn't threatening them and or if the GTX400's don't have a good availability when the launch there is still no need to drop prices until they have a good availability. What I would like to know is how much AMD plans to drop there prices to. And also why would they need to drop the price of the 5970, the GTX480 doesn't come close to it performance wise?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I want it sooner! Like now! I'd buy a 5870 if the prices weren't going UP! and if I didn't know that they were going to drop soon. BC2 is crying for a 5870!(even tho EA is killing the damn game)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That's the main reason I avoided the 58XX series to begin with. I hope the price-drop is significant.

5870 drops from $400 to $330-50
5850 drops from $320 to $230-250
5830 drops from $260 to $200

That will officially kill off Fermi.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Gah, why'd you post this. No offense but its a waste of headline space imho.

Everyone knows ATI will only do that if necessary. Its a given with any two rival company's products.

You may want to change the title, it made me think there were already price drops :/
Son..
I am disappoint.

·
HEC Club
13,589 Posts
Someone please tell me this will actually be real and not turn out to be a cruel, cruel April Fool's joke!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by humbleguy View Post
Yah If 5970 drops to the price of a GTX 480, what shall I buy?
Obviously the one that is better. The 5970.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts