Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 1376 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Built not bought"
This will be a friendly place for members to showcase their scratch builds and toss around ideas for future or current projects. To join just post a picture or build link of a case you built from scratch or from something not originally intended to be a PC case. I will update the OP with a list of members and links to the build log or pictures
Welcome to the Club
thumb.gif

Thanks to Bucshman for the sig tag

Code:

Code:
[CENTER][URL=http://www.overclock.net/t/1352981/scratch-build-case-club][B]Scratch Build Case Club[/B][/URL][/CENTER]
Resources
ATX Layout Specs P12
mATX Layout Specs P12
XL ATX Standoff spacing
HPTX Standoff spacing
SSI/EATX Standoff spacing P55 (not gamer e-atx like the ROG boards from asus most of those use atx mounting hole layout)
Various Form Factor Diagrams
Painting Guide
Radiator Cutout Templates
Fan Hole Templates
Form Factor of 3.5" Disk Drives
Form Factor of 5.25" CD Drives
2.5" Drive Form Factor with Serial Connector
Form Factor of 2.5" Disk Drives
SSI Specifications PDF (SSI EEB mounting holes support mini-ITX, micro-ATX, ATX, E-ATX, SSI-TEB, SSI-CEB)
PCI Slot dimensions
ATX PSU Cut Out

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
A few teaser pics until I get it complete
Concept

How it currently sits

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucshman View Post

I can't let you have all the fun by yourself. Count me in.
Welcome! Congrats on being nominated for MOTM!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
count me in. right now anything i make will be out of wood as that is what is easiest for me to work with. a club like this might make me make cases that i won't use just to keep the status. i might also start looking into getting a rivit gun. i have been wanting to make a bench tester and a wood one would just add to much to the size. Hmmmm, my mind is going crazy with ideas now.

Number Five 2.0-scratch build

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
bump
I'm needing some help on how to mount the 5.25" bays. I was thinking about doing something similar to the MountainMods 5.25" bays with acrylic. Anyone else have some ideas?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

bump
I'm needing some help on how to mount the 5.25" bays. I was thinking about doing something similar to the MountainMods 5.25" bays with acrylic. Anyone else have some ideas?
The MM ones look like they could be replicated using 1/8" acrylic on the sides and some 1x1" angled aluminum bars for the frame. You could easily cut and bend the aluminum to make the frame all one piece, then attach the acrylic sides with thumb screws to make it easy to remove. Let me know what you come up with I am going to need a 3 bay holder for my next project, or I may just make one tonight and show you what I mean.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
I'm going to try pulling a 3 bay cage from the Antec 300 I've been salvaging parts from. For the outer frame I'll use acrylic with the cage attached with either rivets or 4-40 screws with lock nuts. Leaning toward rivets though.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
This thread is dead! Needs some revival.
Some progress on my case build

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
May I join?

This is about 90% scratch-I just used a MB tray.

I am in the process of reworking this Bamboo case

I have/had a few 50-60% scratch builds-

I try and build at least 1 case a year, or at least some sort of major mod.

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Welcome to the club! I knew there had to be more of us scratch builder out there somewhere. Those are some beautiful cases you have there. Keep them coming!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:

Welcome to the club! I knew there had to be more of us scratch builder out there somewhere. Those are some beautiful cases you have there. Keep them coming!
thumb.gif
Thanks, I will post some more pictures, when I find them-lol
I want to make an Acrylic case and a built in desk case and a SFF out of a drill case and a etc.....-lol
I could build a case a month, I just cant afford to buy the "guts" for them, and I don't want to throw them out after a few months of use.

You need to make a Tag for our sigs, so we can advertise.
I have a few Builds subbed, I will shoot them a message about this thread.
You need to have this made an Official Club!?!?!?! (I think by a mod)

I cant wait for word on this thread to get out, we should have some really great build here-or at least a bunch of links to builds.

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit13 View Post

Thanks, I will post some more pictures, when I find them-lol
I want to make an Acrylic case and a built in desk case and a SFF out of a drill case and a etc.....-lol
I could build a case a month, I just cant afford to buy the "guts" for them, and I don't want to throw them out after a few months of use.

You need to make a Tag for our sigs, so we can advertise.
I have a few Builds subbed, I will shoot them a message about this thread.
You need to have this made an Official Club!?!?!?! (I think by a mod)

I cant wait for word on this thread to get out, we should have some really great build here-or at least a bunch of links to builds.

-dimwit-
I saw someone building a SFF case out of an old ammunition case the other day. That was pretty cool.
This is the first club I've started so I wasn't sure how to go about making it "Official." I totally agree about the Sig Tag though. I'll see if I can throw something together today.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:

I saw someone building a SFF case out of an old ammunition case the other day. That was pretty cool.
This is the first club I've started so I wasn't sure how to go about making it "Official." I totally agree about the Sig Tag though. I'll see if I can throw something together today.
Here is the drill case that i want to use,
It is about 10"x10"x6"
I just need to find a monitor screen to fit.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Asrock just came out with a FM2 m-itx MB that would work great in this.
I might have room for a AIO wc set up?

-dimwit-

AWWW, now i got my creative juices flowing-lol

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit13 View Post

Here is the drill case that i want to use,
It is about 10"x10"x6"
I just need to find a monitor screen to fit.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Asrock just came out with a FM2 m-itx MB that would work great in this.
I might have room for a AIO wc set up?

-dimwit-

AWWW, now i got my creative juices flowing-lol
That would be awesome! It'd would be like a laptop that packs a serious punch. I think you could probably squeeze some small watercooling in there. If not an AIO, then maybe a custom loop with Apogee drive and small radiator, one of those 2x80mm maybe?
thinking.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr one View Post

Can i join in?

Awesome case! Is that a speaker in there?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

That would be awesome! It'd would be like a laptop that packs a serious punch. I think you could probably squeeze some small watercooling in there. If not an AIO, then maybe a custom loop with Apogee drive and small radiator, one of those 2x80mm maybe?
thinking.gif

Awesome case! Is that a speaker in there?
Nope
smile.gif
its a acrylic sff case
smile.gif
2x120mm in front and same on top also has a spare 3,5 inch bay on top, atx psu and mounting for a 2x 2,5 inch drives
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:

thinking.gif
Never thought about a 2x80mm rad (didn't know they even made them)

I wonder if I could get a laptop screen to work?
I have the case at work, I need to bring it home, so I can get some measurements off it.

OK, you have me talked into it, time to start researching/ordering parts for it.
Rumor is, is that the next gen Trinity APUs are coming?
A10-6800K would be great.

-dimwit-

1 - 20 of 1376 Posts