Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebony & Ivory

Spring is here so it's time to start a project.
smile.gif

Last year, after finishing the Mid-Lif Cry-Sys build, I had planned to upgrade it to the 2011-3 platform with 3-way Crossfire this spring.
After pricing everything, the motherboard, CPU, DDR4, another 290x, the tally was getting pretty, not to mention the water blocking everything!
"Do I really needed that 8-cores of power and a 3rd GPU at this moment in life?" I asked.
"Well, my 3770k is still a gaming beast, so no, not really...but...but...I really want to build SOMETHING!!!"
redface.gif

Drooling over all the beautiful SFF builds and case mods that the community has been leaning towards over the last few months
had really got me itching to do an ITX build sometime in the future.
bulb.gif

"That's it, let's do this now!", I shouted, "We'll just build a whole new system!
Something small, quiet and powerful enough for decent gaming at 1080p that will also replace the HTPC.
Yes...that's the ticket!"

While searching and scratching my head trying to choose a suitable case for the build, I realized that there was not many
interesting cases left on the market that hasn't been touched by other modders.
"I don't want to repeat what's already been done." I mumbled, "so why not attempt my very first scratch build."
This just keeps getting better and better!"
biggrin.gif

and so, the saga continues...

Subscribe...comment...critique...and most of all...enjoy!
smile.gif

System Specifications

Main Hardware

Intel Core i7 4790K = $326.98 (received)
Intel Pentium G3258 20th Aniversery Edition = $69.99
ASUS Z97I-PLUS = $154.99 (received)
Team Elite Plus 16GB = $105.99
HyperX Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866MHz = $114.99 (received)
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SSD for OS = $224.99
Seagate 500GB HDD for games/storage
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB $249.99 OS/apps/games
Crucial MX200 CT500MX200SSD4 M.2 Type 2280SS (Single Sided) 500GB SATA = $200.98 (received)
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD games/storage = $349.99 (received)
EVGA 04G-P4-1972-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked = $344.99 (received)
SILVERSTONE SFX Series SX600-G 600W +12V 80 PLUS GOLD PSU = $129.99 (received)
Logitech K830 Wireless Keyboard = $74.89 (received)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM = $139.99 (received)

Cooling Hardware

EK-Supremacy EVO CPU- Nickle Plexi = $77.95 (received)
EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover - Nickel Plexi = $114.99 (received)
EK-FC970 GTX Backplate - Nickel = $37.49 (received)
EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM = $134.95 (received)
EK-DDC Heatsink Housing - Nickel = $23.95 (received)
EK-UNI Holder DDC V2 = $6.29 (received)
XSPC AX240 Dual-Fan Radiator - White x2 = $134.95 (received)
Bit Fenix Spectre Pro PWM Fan Series - 120mm - Solid White x8 = $103.60 (received)
Primochill Hex 2-Layer Rad Grillz - Dual 120mm - Black/Black x2 = $39.90 (received)
Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter Box x2 = $18.90 (received)
Fittings & tubing = (need to purchase)

Content Links

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltar View Post

Subbed, looks like this will be a fun build.
thumb.gif
Thanks for the sub!
smile.gif

Finally I've got my I/O / PCI slot panel, the motherboard tray and couple aluminium panels so its about time I got started with the fabrication!
biggrin.gif

Still waiting on a few other orders to arrive, system hardware case fabricating parts, some watercooling fittings ,and upgraded system hardware,
but they should be arriving this week...so stay tuned
smile.gif

Case Fabrication Part 1

All black anodized brushed aluminum. This stuff is beautiful.
smile.gif

Using the same tools I used in my last build, a drill a jigsaw, hand files and sandpaper.Who needs a CNC machine?
Modders of late seem to have lost the passon for the hand work involved and just design their vision and send it off to be made.
IMO that takes all the fun out of it.
smile.gif

A PERFECT FIT!!!
biggrin.gif

I still need to finish cleaning up the rough cut edges with some 1000 grit sandpaper, but this panel is almost ready!
smile.gif

I love to work with aluminum .

More to come soon!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroc View Post

Hello
wink.gif

Why not a dimastech for miniitx?
Well I really thought about it but my last build was dimastech mod an I really wanted to do something different this time around
smile.gif

I'm scratching this one together so I can get exactally what I want
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Nice work so far. Its good to see some old school fab going on rather than lazy ass get someone else to do it in a shop
thumb.gif
Thanks!
Please don't turn things the wrong way guys.
smile.gif

Having great respect for what the pro builders achieve here, I would never say that they're "lazy", although I do understand what you mean saying that
by choosing to outsource certain things to achieve their goal as it really does make things a lot easier.

BUT, I'm also sure that most of them have done their own mods over the years and can still do it themselves.

One can only speculate why some choose to outsource...perhaps for some it's becoming more of commercializing trade than just a hobby?
I don't know...
Could be lack of time, loss of passion for certain tasks, easy access to expensive machinery, sponsorship requirements to promote product, or maybe they're just rolling in so much $$$ they rather pay to have it made.
What ever their reasons, they always produce some of the most outstanding rig designs on the planet.
thumb.gif

Remember the architect will always gets the credit...it being fair or not has always been debatable.

Personally, this IS a passion mine...I very much enjoy both the designing and muddling through the entire fabrication process myself. I find some of my best ideas come about this way.
I'm just passionate about "gettin er done" myself by using the tools that I have to work with is more of a gratifying reward for me in the end.
wink.gif

I've always done my work on everything from cutting, drilling and tapping, to soldering LED's and sleeving cables.

Having said that, I'm considering having some custom cables made for this build because that's the only task that I simply DO NOT enjoy doing!
redface.gif

...well I didn't actually mine the ore for the aluminum panels that I'm using either
tongue.gif

...and I would still love to have access to CNC machinery...oooh the things I could do to some aluminum
devil-smiley-019.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

Subbed for the old school attitude! No school like the old school!!
thumb.gif
Nothing like doing things the good ole hard way!
thumb.gif

Thanks for following guys!
biggrin.gif

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Looks like fun bud. The G3258 was fun to play with. I finally upgraded to the 4670k.

Love the fab work, I wish I had the stuff to build from scratch myself.

Subbed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog83 View Post

Looks like fun bud. The G3258 was fun to play with. I finally upgraded to the 4670k.

Love the fab work, I wish I had the stuff to build from scratch myself.

Subbed.
Thanks.

Yea the G3258 price was right so grabbed one for testing out the new MB, PSU, RAM and GPU. Out of the box it's rock solid @ 4.4Gz stock vcore ~60c on air...pretty impressive.

At the time I was undecided on going with the 4690k, 4790k or just wait for broadwelI and I finally pulled the trigger on the 4790K last night.

Will definitely get another z87-97 board later on to play with the pentium some more.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,411 Posts
You got my support
tongue.gif

Subbed

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post

You got my support
tongue.gif

Subbed
Ha...thanks man. Sorry I had to pass around a little
spam1.gif
to all the members in my PM box to gain some attention
tongue.gif

I see you're still rocking the C70.
thumb.gif
I still have mine too...maybe I should resurrect it after this build
smile.gif

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Thanks!
smile.gif

[Snip]
biggrin.gif
lol I may have come off a little harsher than I intended. What I meant to say was with so many resorting to outsourcing (which is fine) its nice to see some home brew fab. I have always done my own case mods myself, often with wholly inadequate tools so I really enjoy seeing projects where people get their hands dirty and really get in there. Outsourcing is certainly not something I would snub, as you said, there are some amazing projects that emerge from it. However if someone titled their thread "scratch build" and then simply outsourced all the parts and basically was only responsible for assembly and some basic design elements I would be dissapointed and not follow too closely, maybe just check out the end result. I guess its all in the title, "Custom Case" with everything outsourced is fine but don't claim you fabricated it, you know what I mean? Basically fabrication and design are 2 different beasts and where some have talent for both, some only have the creativity or lack the time/tools so having the option to source the parts or get them fabricated is amazing and totally cool.

I hope I didn't offend anyone
smile.gif
Total respect to anyone willing to take the time to go custom
thumb.gif

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,411 Posts
Quote:

spam1.gif
tongue.gif

thumb.gif
smile.gif
I do plan on changing my case. Or possibly working on a mATX build, however im currently living about 7000km away from my home (and my precious rig
biggrin.gif
) so it will be a while. In the mean time, I can get some ideas from builds logs like yours. Always enjoy watching a build so don't feel guilty ahahaha

·
Gamer
3,965 Posts
I'm down man. Thanks for the PM. Post number 5 had me. Love the custom fabrication.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!
smile.gif

[Snip]
biggrin.gif
lol I may have come off a little harsher than I intended. What I meant to say was with so many resorting to outsourcing (which is fine) its nice to see some home brew fab. I have always done my own case mods myself, often with wholly inadequate tools so I really enjoy seeing projects where people get their hands dirty and really get in there. Outsourcing is certainly not something I would snub, as you said, there are some amazing projects that emerge from it. However if someone titled their thread "scratch build" and then simply outsourced all the parts and basically was only responsible for assembly and some basic design elements I would be dissapointed and not follow too closely, maybe just check out the end result. I guess its all in the title, "Custom Case" with everything outsourced is fine but don't claim you fabricated it, you know what I mean? Basically fabrication and design are 2 different beasts and where some have talent for both, some only have the creativity or lack the time/tools so having the option to source the parts or get them fabricated is amazing and totally cool.

I hope I didn't offend anyone
smile.gif
Total respect to anyone willing to take the time to go custom
thumb.gif
Naa, It's all good man. I can se that we're on the same page
thumb.gif

It's just some people can be touchy with the subject...me?...I'm a pacifist
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post

Quote:

spam1.gif
tongue.gif

thumb.gif
smile.gif
I do plan on changing my case. Or possibly working on a mATX build, however im currently living about 7000km away from my home (and my precious rig
biggrin.gif
) so it will be a while. In the mean time, I can get some ideas from builds logs like yours. Always enjoy watching a build so don't feel guilty ahahaha
Well if you get any ideas that'll help me out then please let me know because I'm just making this ***** up as I go
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

I'm down man. Thanks for the PM. Post number 5 had me. Love the custom fabrication.
It's gonna be a unique build but simple enough for the most part that anyone should be able to duplicate that is skillful with some basic tools.
smile.gif

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,411 Posts
Don't worry, i'll give you my full, uneducated opinion
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 89 Posts