Table Of Contents:

1. Introduction/Concept Images
2a. First Set of Parts Arrive
2b. Parts, Test Build, and Posting

Sponsors

http://fslaser.com/

Introduction and Concept

Hi Everyone,

Im back with another project, the last version of this one fell flat on its face due to a number of reasons, but this is pretty much version 2.0 of this concept. The basic idea of this was to use 3D printing to create a case from scratch. The original version was a full scale, full tower. After getting some of the parts printed I started to find that there were some flaws with the plan, so I scrapped it and started from scratch. the new plan was to make this a robust and semi portable system that I can travel with to and from LAN parties.

I will be keeping both forum and video logs of the progress. Stay Tuned!

Concept Images:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninhalem View Post

Very impressive 3D modeling skills.
thumb.gif

What program suite did you use?
Solidworks for the modeling and Keyshot for the renders

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Neat idea. What kind of 3D printer will you be using? Also do you know what kind of filament that you will be using? I can see the print time stacking up on this one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperN1 View Post

Neat idea. What kind of 3D printer will you be using? Also do you know what kind of filament that you will be using? I can see the print time stacking up on this one.
I have been able to find a buddy of mine who will print these on a maker bot. I just have to pay for the material. And as far as time goes...yea....its going to take awhile.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone asked to see the case in all black. Thought I would share with everyone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a quick update for everyone, I have finished making the tweaks to the printed parts and they are off to the printer now, the metal work should start Monday as well. In the mean time I have started work on the parts that I will be putting into the case itself. I plan on using an Asus Z97I-Plus for this build, but with some minor tweaks. Instead of the gold heatsink, I want to paint the gold parts white and place my logo on the southbridge heatsink.

·
BSME
773 Posts
great concept

subbed

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
This is a neat idea but the amount of finish work required on the 3D printed parts is going to be staggering or are you just going to leave it natural out of the printer look. Are you using ABS filament. If so you might be Ble to vapor smooth them unless it has very tight tolerances. Heat is going to be another challenge to overcome as the plastic will deform and become brittle due to heating and cooling cycles. I am excited to see how you overcome the challenges involved in using 3D printed parts for the majority of a case. I'll be subbing on this build for sure.

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Looks very,very promising..I'm in too
smile.gif

·
Chief Over-Engineer
608 Posts
That is some absolutely superb design work. The renders look awesome. It’s a fantastic idea; I look forward to seeing how it goes. An ABS and aluminium construction I assume? Are you 3D printing the black panels as well, or are you machining those?

·
MMO Enthusiast
938 Posts
great concept, subbed to see the progress!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post

That is some absolutely superb design work. The renders look awesome. It's a fantastic idea; I look forward to seeing how it goes. An ABS and aluminium construction I assume? Are you 3D printing the black panels as well, or are you machining those?
Thanks! I'm really surprised at how much people enjoy the design, took a few attempts to get it right. As far tas the construction goes, you're right on the money, the entire frame will be 3D printed and I will have some aluminum panels cut for the radiators and motherboard tray, the rest will be laser cut acrylic pieces.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You people simply amaze me. I have seen such incredible ideas here. To see this much creative work just inspires me to do something. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2a.First Set of Parts Arrive

Hi everyone.

Got a small update to post tonight. I was able to get my hands on a number of the parts I plan on using in this build, however, I still do not have ALL the parts, I'm still missing the SSDs and any water cooling parts as well. I should have those in the next few weeks if all goes well. For now, here's what I picked up.

CPU - Intel i7-4790K

GPU - EVGA GTX 970 Superclock

Motherboard - ASUS Z97I-Plus

PSU - SilverStone SX600-G

RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum - 8GB - 2133Mhz

Thats all for now, stay tuned for more!

1 - 20 of 157 Posts