Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victorian Desktop

My wife's laptop is no longer working happily, so she's asked for a desktop. Well, I can't leave well enough alone, so why would I build her one in a stock case (of which I have several laying around), when I could do another scratch build project?!

This case will be another wooden scratch build, as many of my projects are. I have some old cast iron pieces that will be incorporated into this project as well. It's going to be built out using solid mahogany, and will be finished in a way to emulate a lifetime of use. I don't really want it to look brand new, as the cast iron parts are not, and we like the look of them as they are.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First things first, I decided to throw most of the hardware parts together to make sure it all works happy before I get too far.

The main idea behind this build is a cube style case, with one side to house an ATX power supply, and the hardware on the other side. I wanted to keep it as compact as I could. I ended up going with an ITX board, a 90 degree PCIe hard riser card, and a low profile GPU.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03225.JPG

I know I know, "Stock Intel cooler?!?!?"… Just running on air to make sure it all works. There will be a 200mm radiator once things get rolling.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03230.JPG

The Gigabyte Phoenix-WiFi motherboard has built-in orange LEDs on the underside of the motherboard.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03233.JPG

The hardware (motherboard + GPU) is about 9.5" (~241mm) in length, which is about perfect for what I'm hoping to do.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03234.JPG

The 200mm radiator is the perfect height to match the hardware.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03235.JPG

And what's more, the cast iron grate my wife picked up at an antique store a while ago, is dead on the size of the radiator. That works out quite nicely.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03297.JPG

G.Skill Ares RAM 8GB 1600MHz kit goes superbly with the color scheme of the motherboard.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03299.JPG

The internal color scheme will be based around the orange, and I will be using orange tubing as well.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03238.JPG

Next thing up is to get started on the woodworking! A big piece of mahogany. 4/4 rough sawn, about 8' long and 14" wide.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03244.JPG

Time to get started cutting it up. Next update will be prepping the main pieces of the case.

Thanks for checking it out! I look forward to this project quite a bit (and so does my wife, as she wanted it a month ago…)

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporizer View Post

subbed. i love wood. i love the design you posted in the scratch build thread as well.
I'm sure you do
tongue.gif

Sub'd as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

subbed. i love wood. i love the design you posted in the scratch build thread as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

I'm sure you do
tongue.gif

Sub'd as well.
lol thanks guys!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, so time to get thing's kickin'.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03240.JPG

The rough cut board had a bad end when they crosscut it to length, so first things first; cut a nice clean square end and go from there.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03251.JPG

I could have used a panel saw (or power tools, for that matter), but I prefer my backsaws for cross grain work, at the bench. The board is wide enough, that the cut angle has to get shallow to get all the way across.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03252.JPG

Nice clean end. Now repeat 4 more times.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03253.JPG

The 5 main panels all cut to rough size. They're almost cut to length, but all will require ripping to width.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03254.JPG

Using a handplane on the end grain always requires a bit more effort; let alone 3 boards at once.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03255.JPG

All 3 will be the same length once done, by clamping them all together and checking for square.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03256.JPG

Next up, I marked out the width on the pieces, and ripped them to width.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03257.JPG

Luckily although it's a hardwood, mahogany actually works quite nicely with hand tools. It's a bit rough on sharpened edges, but that's why one learns to sharpen their tools themselves.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03259.JPG

Next up, a little edge planing to get the edge straight, and clean up the saw marks.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03260.JPG

On to planing the face of the board to take out the cupping in it; it was kind of bad. First diagonally across the board one way, and diagonally across the other way, then with the grain.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03262.JPG

This process makes quite the pile of shavings. For reference, this is only two boards so far.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03263.JPG

Due to the cupping in the boards, these ended up being just barely over 1/2" thick once done. If they had been flat, they would have been about 3/4" thick instead. Oh well, this gives me an extra half inch inside
smile.gif

That's all I've got for now. More work to be done to get the other 3 boards ready to go, then it'll be time to get these things joined together.

Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
994 Posts
subbed. That grate is going to look excellent in the desk! Really hoping to see more little accents like that along the way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

wow, i love the use of hand tools. it's a lost art now-a-days with a power tool for everything. i am so looking forward to updates from you.
thumb.gif
Thanks! I love the handtool part of it as well. There is a powertool for everything, except being quiet, and relaxing, and non-dusty lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyminator View Post

subbed. That grate is going to look excellent in the desk! Really hoping to see more little accents like that along the way.
Thanks! Desktop* Don't want unrealistic expectations lol There shall be some more little things to go with the grate, but I'll wait until I get that far to show those off
smile.gif

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've now finished flattening all the panels for the case. They were pretty cupped, so there was a fair bit of effort to get them flat. They started at 3/4" thick, and now are a shade under 5/8". No issues with that, though, as that just means more space (by about 1/4") inside the case.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03317.JPG

This illustrates how badly they were cupped. They were all about the same, coming from the same rough cut board.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03318.JPG

I've penciled some lines on the face of the board to show the process.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03319.JPG

First I take some passes on the outside edge, and work in towards the center.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03321.JPG

I start with one wipe on the edge, then another on the edge and one further in, then to back to the outside edge and go 2 more in etc. I work my way across until I almost reach the middle. This means I'm removing more material on the outside than the inside, to help get rid of the cup.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03322.JPG

Much better already, though still slightly cupped.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03325.JPG

After that, I go diagonally across the panel in both directions. This helps even things out a bit more from side to side.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03323.JPG

Now this face is nice and flat. If I wanted to pass it through a power planer now I could, with this face down. Not having one, I just do the same process, except working from the middle outwards to get rid of the high spot in the middle of the other side.

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03366.JPG

So there we have it, now I've got a stack of panels all flat and ready for the next steps.

I also made a time-lapse of working on the two side panels here. It includes cutting and planing them to width, and flattening as shown above. Getting both the panels ready took about an hour to do total.

Next step will be laying out the opening for the front, and starting to make this thing look like a box…

Mosquito_Victorian_Wooden_Desktop_G.Skill_DSC03367.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Man, hand planing sounds like a PITA. I like the time lapse video. And the music for it was perfect lol

Also, what is done with all the wood shaving from planing. Putting them in a separate bag like you did makes me think you save them.

·
Phenomenologist
6,329 Posts
you just know you are getting laid for all the extra effort, don't lie bro

it's ok tho i am happy for you ^^
thumb.gif

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

Man, hand planing sounds like a PITA. I like the time lapse video. And the music for it was perfect lol

Also, what is done with all the wood shaving from planing. Putting them in a separate bag like you did makes me think you save them.
lol I spent probably half an hour picking the music for it! I enjoy hand planing, just something about it, not sure how to explain. It's somewhat relaxing once you get into the groove of it. And the exercise is good for me, I'm told
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

you just know you are getting laid for all the extra effort, don't lie bro

it's ok tho i am happy for you ^^
thumb.gif
lol More like more shop time with out any complaints
wink.gif
It doesn't help that it's already a month late, though... Wife wanted it done by Christmas, but I just didn't have the time to make that happen. Oh well. Thanks for checking it out
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 103 Posts