Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been seeing some scratch cases being built lately, and I've been particularly interested in Artikbot's "Wooden Cheese" build log. So I decided to make my own case, as i didn't really like any of the cases on the market, and I figured I could save a few bucks, using resources from my high school wood shop. I get all of the materials and tools free, which works out perfectly since I'm on a strict budget. So, I get to make something with the things I want in a case, and for free
biggrin.gif

I've been working on this during my 2 study halls, and whatever time I can spend after school on this. Progress will be a bit slow after the case is actually built (Getting parts, watercooling, etc.)

One night after school I started to make it out of 1/2" plywood. I just started to wing it, going with random dimensions (22" L, 20" H, 10" W) and I realized the next day, half of the pieces I chose were warped. But, here is the mock up of how I want this case to be:

For the motherboard, I decided against having it screwed directly to the wood using standoffs, and instead I am using the motherboard tray from an old HP server, along with the back I/O Panel and PCI slots. These will be painted black. Here's the motherboard backplate, the only plywood piece.

As I couldn't find any plywood that looked in any way attractive, one of my shop teachers asked if I wanted to make it out of solid wood. I, of course, said yes, and he pointed to a pile of oak in the corner. None of the pieces were wide enough for my needs, so I decided to glue them together. Here are some pics from the last 2 days (today and yesterday) of getting the glue on and the pieces in the clamps.

Yesterday:

Today:

2 pieces done:

Gluing more:

Where I leave it for the night:

Like I said before, progress will be relaxed and maybe a bit slow later on as I don't have a job and I only have $350 saved so far. I do promise daily posts early on, as I work on it every day. Any feedback is welcome, and if someone could maybe come up with a name? I will be adding an index as well as pictures and progress starts to pile up. Thanks!

EDIT: Will be adding some Sketchup pics as well, once I finish them

*Adding specs as I go, these are all subject to change*
-GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P
-AMD FX-4300 Vishera
-ADATA XPG Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-Sapphire 7850 1GB
-Corsair CX500

TO DO:

-Make cable management holes
-Fix routing problem on front piece
-Route out the back for I/O panel
-Make holes for fans and drive bays
-There'll be more eventually...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Nice
smile.gif
I am actually working on a wood case right now too. Excited to see how this turns out
smile.gif

EDIT: Haha just realized you were already subbed on my thread
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by estabya View Post

Nice
smile.gif
I am actually working on a wood case right now too. Excited to see how this turns out
smile.gif

EDIT: Haha just realized you were already subbed on my thread
tongue.gif
You're thread is a big inspiration too. I can't wait to finish this thing either
biggrin.gif
I'm going to plane the pieces that I've glued together tomorrow, then cut them down to size, and hopefully Dado a groove in the bottom piece for the motherboard to put into.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It's looks like it'll be nice. And it seems like you will be making a lot faster progress. Between work and the family I have been having a hard time making time to work on it. I started almost a month ago, but the end is now in sight
smile.gif

I'm impressed you are making it out of oak! It's gonna be wonderfully durable and pretty (not to mention heavy)
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by estabya View Post

It's looks like it'll be nice. And it seems like you will be making a lot faster progress. Between work and the family I have been having a hard time making time to work on it. I started almost a month ago, but the end is now in sight
smile.gif

I'm impressed you are making it out of oak! It's gonna be wonderfully durable and pretty (not to mention heavy)
thumb.gif
Thanks! I have to juggle homework, and that's about it. And money is always a problem. Should be getting in some vital components soon
biggrin.gif
I'm so glad I'm making it out of oak. I can't wait to see the the oak all glossy and shiny
smile.gif
It's not going anywhere, so I don't care about weight
tongue.gif
(Not too much anyway
biggrin.gif
)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welll, so much for daily updates xD, wasn't able to get the card reader into my dad's computer until now, because my current rig is dead. But, I did get a lot of work done. Here are some pics:

All of the gluing done:

All planed down, and shiny
biggrin.gif

One of the pieces being marked for cutting

All cut:

A quick mock with a power supply for an idea of how big this thing is

Now for the fancy stuff. I used a Dado to make all of these grooves where all the pieces fit into. Helluva tool
biggrin.gif

The motherboard tray in its groove:

Groove in one of the panels:

Here's where I ended last night:

So, the motherboard tray sits in its groove, then the front and back have a groove on them that fits into the motherboard tray, and the base has a ledge cut so the front and back panels sit flush against the bottom. Quite proud of myself on that one
wink.gif

That's all until Monday, Have a 2 hour delay today, so probably won't get much more done. If anyone wants to see more pics I was too lazy to upload, here's a link to my Photobucket Album: http://s1010.beta.photobucket.com/user/guitarkid4143/library/?

Thanks!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer View Post

........what PSU is that?
That is an old 300W unit from an HPL ML330 G3 Server. Just using it for size comparison.

On another note, UPDATES in a bit
tongue.gif
Gotta do some work to this current rig and I'll be golden.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATES!!!!!

Here's what I accomplished today:

I've always liked how the Prodigy and PowerMac/MacPro had the little stands on them, and I decided I wanted to do something like that with this. I needed a way to have the case not sit flat on it's belly, because the idea seemed silly and I needed a good amount of space for intake for the power supply. These are about 2.5 inches high if I remember correctly.
Here's a shot with the motherboard panel, front, and back panels on.

A shot of the front. I'll be making a piece tomorrow to fill the "gap" in its teeth

And one last shot until tomorrow.

Thanks!
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 318 Posts