125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
asus tuf x570 plus
ryzen 9 3900x
asus GTX 970
corsair vengeance LPX 32GB ram
evga supernova 550w PSU
120gb ssd

I power on computer and windows 10 boots normally to ‘scenic’ login page.
Then when I press any key or click mouse screen gets black and computer is unresponsive.
Fans and LED’s remain on, and I have to turn computer off by toggling power switch on back of PSU.

Can someone please help me with this?

·
Registered
294 Posts
asus GTX 970

Can someone please help me with this?
Is this a new-built system? Did it ever run correctly?

Have you tried doing a CMOS reset to see if it still black screens? If so, it may be either a video driver problem or a Windows problem. Force it into a safe mode boot and uninstall video drivers first but either way taking your problem to a Windows 10 help forum would be best.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
Sounds like a driver problem or a dying GPU. Have you tried to see what happens when you disable the return from sleep login page? You can search in windows settings to temporarily turn off the return from sleep password.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ryzen 9 3900x
asus GTX 970
corsair vengeance LPX 32GB ram
evga supernova 550w PSU
120gb ssd

“Is this a new-built system? Did it ever run correctly?”

NO, I had RMA-ed this board and got it back yesterday.
While waiting, I had the same hardware (above) on a Asus prime b450 and it worked perfectly.
After re-assembling everything, it is doing EXACTLY what the original tuf x570 did described in post #1

“Have you tried doing a CMOS reset “

It’s a new board; is that necessary?

“Force it into a safe mode boot and uninstall video drivers”

I never installed video drivers, but I’ll try that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, doing a CMOS reset even on a new board is a good idea. I always do it.

But also, if you were using the same hardware, i.e. drive with Windows installation, with the B450 board and just swapped everything into the new board you should do a clean install of Windows. But I'd still suggest doing a CMOS reset. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I reset the cmos and rebooted and it actually worked long enough to let me disable the nvidia (432) driver that came with the fresh windows 10 install.
Then the start menu stopped working.
And now its doing the same thing as post #1.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
I reset the cmos and rebooted and it actually worked long enough to let me disable the nvidia (432) driver that came with the fresh windows 10 install.
Then the start menu stopped working.
And now its doing the same thing as post #1.
So windows came pre-installed? Try reinstalling windows. You can use the windows 10 media creation tool to turn a USB drive into a windows 10 installer from another computer.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
No
I did a fresh install of win 10, and Nvidia 432 driver was already in. ? . no idea how it got there.
OK. Windows 10 has a lot of built in drivers and it also will update during the OS installation process if you have it hooked up to the internet.

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Does your motherboard have a video out? Try removing your GPU and use the video out on the motherboard.

You can also try reinstalling windows 10 without it hooked up to the internet so it cannot update itself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for replies,
but I think I have wasted enough time with this crap board from asus.
I can’t get them on the phone and I’m not spending anymore money on RMA shipping. I’m just going to replace it with the prime b450, put the tuf x570 in the trash and call it a day.
Thanks again for your help guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please disregard my last post.

Sometimes my mouth works faster than my brain.
Problem turned out to be the GPU just like you guys said. I put in my old GTX 550 and all is well. hmmm . . think I'll get a RTX 2060.

. . and my apologies to Asus.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts

Sometimes my mouth works faster than my brain.
Problem turned out to be the GPU just like you guys said. I put in my old GTX 550 and all is well. hmmm . . think I'll get a RTX 2060.

I suspected as much. I was going to comment and tell you to at least test the GPU more before you give up on it since that's so easy to test. Glad you found the issue.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts

Still so, that raises a question: Why did the 970 work OK in the B450 board?

Just a thought, but some motherboard BIOS's had difficulties with some PCIe gen 2 or 3 cards when plugged into a Gen 4 - enabled PCIe connector. I think later BIOS's (AMD AGESA, actually) fixed it but it might be worth a try to lock the PCIe slots to Gen 2 or 3 in BIOS setup for the GTX970. Also make sure your x570 mobo BIOS is up to date if you haven't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. . so I put in a EVGA RTX 2060 and now the board does not see the SSD with windows 10.
any ideas?

·
Registered
212 Posts
. . so I put in a EVGA RTX 2060 and now the board does not see the SSD with windows 10.
any ideas?
Sata SSD, or nvme? I've had one nvme that was bricked and overheated like crazy and did that entire system stability nonsense. If you have a small spare SSD laying around(or just go out and buy one they are cheap enough) and have a fresh install of windows on that. The 3900x doesn't come with an igpu so don't connect your screen to the mobo without dgpu, that won't work. You can do a fresh install with the rtx2060 on the new drive with the x570 mobo and see where that brings you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Try a live USB boot of a Linux distro.
Yep, it boots a linux distro on a USB drive.

But the BIOS (2603) does not see the SSD (Toshiba OCZ TL100) with windows 10 at all. I put it another rig and it boots, so there is nothing wrong with it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just put in the GTX 550 again and now the BIOS sees the SSD and it boots normally.

Could this be a bad BIOS (2603) version? I notice that it’s not on asus’ support bios list anymore.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts