Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there, I just recently bought a 5870 for the brand new computer I built. First day everything was running fine then second day I noticed that the screen would randomly go blank and then reappear normal as if nothing happened. I got no messages from windows nor any hiccups on the system itself. The power didn't cut off or anything. It just blanked out and came back. Then today it started to happen practically all the time, but thing is it only happened when Firefox and utorrent windows up. If I minimized everything to the desktop then it would not happen. If I played Windows Media Player it would work fine. I figured it was the video card but I"m curious as to what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sounds like a video card issue if your power isn't going out. What drivers do you have? I noticed some flashing when I enter windows since a couple days ago. I'm running the 10.3 betas. I would uninstall the drivers first and reinstall the ones I mentioned. If you had them already then make sure your card is getting sufficient cooling. Are you OCing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a tad more research and noticed my drivers were way out of date even though I downloaded them from XFX. Go figure. Also I was using a old old power chord. I noticed that the one that came with my PSU was thicker than the one I was using. So I put that in and no problems so far. Updated the drivers to 10.1 so hopefully that will solve any issues. Gonna update my signature with my new rig.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok update, the computer is still doing the random blanking out. It seems like it only does it when Firefox is up. So it just doesn't make sense. I played hours on Team Fortress 2 and nothing, yet within minutes of getting onto FF it starts blacking out randomly. Drivers are at 10.2 I made sure everything was seated correctly and the power cables were place properly. I even switched the power save mode to highest performance.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitsuo View Post
ok update, the computer is still doing the random blanking out. It seems like it only does it when Firefox is up. So it just doesn't make sense. I played hours on Team Fortress 2 and nothing, yet within minutes of getting onto FF it starts blacking out randomly. Drivers are at 10.2 I made sure everything was seated correctly and the power cables were place properly. I even switched the power save mode to highest performance.
Mine does this as well, only when I'm on FF.

Wierd.. I'm on the 9.12 /w no hotfix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its starting to blank out for 2 seconds and in increasing frequency. I may just have to go and actually do a RMA

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
seems to be the flickering issue a lot of people are having with their dual monitor setups, including myself.

From what I know there's a way to fix it. You have to flash the bios and/or use msi afterburner profiles to manually set both 2d and 3d clocks but I believe ATI is aware of this problem and working on a solution to be released in the future.

Catalyst 10.4 is supposed to resolve this, but I could be totally wrong. There's a very long thread regarding this issue so you might want to check that out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes but the thing is, I'm not dual monitoring. I only got one monitor plugged in. Unless the slot for the monitor matters. Cause in relation to the card, I put the DVI cable into the top one with another DVI in the bottom.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the issue with the 10.2 drivers and my 4850 all of a sudden black screen for 2 secs and it would come back as normal. I can't replicate it though it just happens at random times. The computer was not freezing my music continued to play and such, happened most frequently when I was in firefox though. It it started in firefox it would also occur when opening stuff that has the ?UAC screen overlay. If I wait long enough the problem would just dissappear. It doesnt appear for days sometimes and I cant figure out how to replicate it.

I also noticed if I scrolled my mouse wheel very quickly on a webpage or or scrolled up and down fast while holding the mouse button or clicking on links it would appear more frequently.

I figured it was my graphics card so I bought a Radeon 5830 seems to be having the same issue. My power supply was a brand new Corsair 750w, but I replaced it with the same exact model yesterday, so i am going to see if that helps. I am starting to think it is not a hardware problem though.

Also do any of you experiencing this have logitech setpoint installed for your mouse by any chance? Thats the last thing I remember installing before all this started happening.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What driver version are you using?

Do you have any logitech devices?

I am trying to find a possible common issue that may be causing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue...on my new build.

Corsair 750 watt.
Windows 7
gigabyte motherboard X58A-UD3R
12 ram
EVGA - GTX 460 - Same issue though not as frequently
RMA'd a Gigabyte video Card. Screen blacked out; everything would stay running; just the screen would blank out.

Replaced the cords just like Mitsuo

When I put my old Video card in (EVGA GTS 8800) it worked fine. It's just the new Video Cards.
confused.gif

Is it the Power Supply? Are the video card power demands just too great?
Is it really a driver issue. It would seem that if it was that, something would have been solved in a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I turned down the video settings from 1680 1050 native to 1600x 1024 and I'm sitting here waiting for it to go black but it's only been about 10 minutes.

It usually takes about 15 minutes the first time...after that it gets progressively worse.

Is it possibly just my monitor not being able to handle the 1680 1050native?

What is "native" anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts