Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my new xfx 5770 today on my xp 32 machine with catalyst 10.2 drivers.

http://www.directcanada.com/products...anufacture=XFX

Ran 3dmark06, everything was fine, 12.2k with my e4400 @ 2.8ghz.

Tried to overclock the 5770 by 5mhz using ati overdrive utility. Passed the test, also no sudden fps drops while running ati tool, also 3dmark06 ran well.

However, whenever I opened a new window, or small animations occured such as on msi afterburner when you scroll over the graphs, it causes a screen rip/tear. It also happens intermittently.

This happens when I try to underclock the card too at 800mhz, at 845mhz, and when I run both of my monitors at 60hz or 75hz.

This also happens during the loading screen of 3dmark06 and the cpu tests, but not the graphics tests. I was able to run 3dmark06 with the gpu at 960mhz and got a higher score.

Is this a driver problem? Does my card need to run at 850mhz EXACTLY? Did I get the pickiest card ever?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
its xfx what do you expect they use crapy pcb boards
no. Don't post when you don't know

OP, This is a common 5*** problem. Do you have dual screens by any chance? Most will artifact when you OC with 2 screens without working in MSI afterburner. Do a quick search, there are alot of threads about it. Unfortunately, a few also do it on one screen.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_
View Post

its fact though

In fact what? You were wrong in your post in fact. Search the forums

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Quote:

View Post

And that's why they charge more??
Are they the monster cable of the GPU world? Over priced and poor performers?

How about give some help rather than just bag the OPs piece of kit?

To OP, try Cat 10.3 drivers, I found I got better results than 10.2.
This might help you.
I have a 5850 and it works great, and no need to O/C it, which is good

·
Village Idiot
2,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
its fact though
Fact? Where was it proven? How do you know their custom PCB is "crap" and what does that have to do with the issue shwick is having?

If you're running dual display, that's your issue. Otherwise, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
PowerPlay in action. Your video card down clocks when not under heavy load or when under 2D. You might need to go into your CCC profile and manually adjust it so CCC doesn't under clock to 157/300Mhz. The tearing issue usually happens when using 2 or more monitors.

10.4 Drivers is suppose to resolve this issue without manually adjusting the 2D under clock.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Quote:

View Post

its fact though

Mega fail.

Yea OP you are probably running dual screens, I had your problem at one time. The catalyst 10.4 drivers are going to fix this so just hang in there.

If you want to we can show you how to bios mod your card or you can set up a profile in CCC/Afterburner to fix the issue. This is if you just must overclock right now. Also, Don't even enable overdriver or else you will get the issue.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I heard that Cat 10.5 is going to fix the crappy PCB issue. Cat 10.5 Nanobots.

Quote:

View Post

its fact though

Yes I know, I just posted it, and thanks for agreeing with me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts