Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocksteady's Superman Game Won't Be At Comic-Con 2018

Rocksteady confirms that it won't be announcing its next big game at this year's Comic-Con International in San Diego. For fans looking to the sky in anticipation of a possible Superman title, sorry, it doesn't sound like 2018 is the year to see a Man of Steel game fly again.

After the critical and commercial success of Rocksteady's three Arkham games, players have been waiting since Arkham Knight bowed out in 2015 to know where the studio goes next. While it looks like another Batman adventure isn't in the cards, the biggest rumor is that developers will move to Metropolis and tackle a whole new branch of DC history.

If this game is just a rehash of the Arkham series, I don't want it. This game needs to redefine gameplay for Superman the same way Arkham did for Batman.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Maybe they've learned something from last time and aren't willing to rush this one out the door. Last time was such a huge mess I'm surprised anyone would give them a chance.

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they've learned something from last time and aren't willing to rush this one out the door. Last time was such a huge mess I'm surprised anyone would give them a chance.
Except that everyone is going to.

Let's recap. PC gamers were promised not only a WIndows version, but Mac&Linux native installs as well. What we got was a windows version so buggy that they had to suspend sales for something like three months just to patch the game so that it was PLAYABLE. Arkham Knight on Windows is still not technically finished. Plus the Mac&Linux ports were just straight up cancelled.

And then the game wasn't even that great unless you really like the Bat-Tank.

I didn't get stung on Arkham Knight. Haven't played it. Don't expect I ever will, unless as a gesture of goodwill, WB Games orders Arkham Knight finished and Feral Interactive to do the Mac&Linux ports like they did the Mac ports with the first two games in the series. Hell, for that matter I own the first two but would buy all three games if Feral was given the go ahead to port them to Steam's Linux section. Oh, well.

·
Watercooler
3,367 Posts
They need to continue making Batman games... They were so good at it and are some of the best games i have played to date.

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
I'm still peeved they decided to choose one of the most boring superheroes you could possible have chosen. I mean literally, bad guy? Laser eyes. Game over. Unless you're going up against Doomsday through the entire game. I'd have been much more into something like Green Lantern or have them switch over to Marvel and do another Wolverine game or something.

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
Honestly as good as the Batman games were (outside of performance issues of the most recent one), I am more than willing to play a Superman game along those same lines.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Personally, I don't think a lot of elements from the Arkham games would work as a Superman game. Superman is not a detective, therefore, a lot of the Batman detective aspects of the game wouldn't work. Plus Batman relies heavily on stealth, whereas Superman relies on near invincibility and superhuman strength.

I really want a really good Superman game. The last good one, IMO, was an arcade game (the exact title of it escapes me).

·
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!
4,035 Posts
I'd enjoy a good non-Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy game....Being able to wreck people as Groot or Rocket would be entertaining, or even going crazy on someone with Drax....

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can already do that in DBFz... Vs. Superman, Goku wins again.
You can punch someone through three skyscrapers, fly to where they are gonna be, and redirect them into the ground?

·
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!
4,035 Posts
You can punch someone through three skyscrapers, fly to where they are gonna be, and redirect them into the ground?
It wasn't skyscrapers specifically, but you could bash people through hills and mountains, then yes, teleport in front of them and knock them to the ground - it was a special move. I believe it was in one of the Budokai games for PS2.... Have you ever watched a DBZ fight? They do this kind of thing a lot.... :D

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It wasn't skyscrapers specifically, but you could bash people through hills and mountains, then yes, teleport in front of them and knock them to the ground - it was a special move. I believe it was in one of the Budokai games for PS2.... Have you ever watched a DBZ fight? They do this kind of thing a lot.... :D

Ya... Ya, most people really under estimate the influence Dragon Ball Z had on what super powered fights should look. Teleporting in mid battle, punching people through mountains and skyscrapers, giant energy wave duels. All that is rooted in Dragon Ball Z from the late eighties to mid nineties. Superman and super heros in general didn't do that kind of stuff before then, They would fly and punch things but the damage was always very self contained and their powers where very straight forward for the most part.

For example stuff like super speed meant someone (like The Flash) would get from place to place in an instant. The writers never thought that since he's moving so quick he could punch just as fast or with super human strength just from his momentum. That's where DBZ's influence comes in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts