Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well, Conroe's nice an all, but I'm staying away. Gunna stay with S939. I can easily afford a E6300 / Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 / 2GB DDR2-800 rig, but I'd still have an ugly case, poor airflow, stock cooling, and still no DVD burner.

So far, this is what I'm thinking about upgrading to. For Christmas I get around $300 -> $325, and I have $270 of my own money. Probably won't start buying until around Christmas, but I'd still like to make "plans."

Here it is:
Reasons for Optie 165:
Opteron, so usually good OCing. Cheapest S939 Dual core. 1MB x2.

Reasons for LanParty UT RDX200
Crossfire. I'm not sticking with Nvidia anymore. I had a 6800GS and it had jumpy shadows. Got a 7600GT after I accidently killed it, and it had the same problem. Less noticable, but still had it. Drivers seemed to fix it, but still annoying. Plus I really want to fold on my video card. Plus, its DFI.

Reasons for Crucial Ballistix
Its 2GB, so its an upgrade on amount. Its DDR500. Guarentted 250Mhz. Its D9 Micron chips. (Right?). Seem to get 300Mhz with 2.85v stock timings. Plus they are cheap and look nice.

Reason for RaidMax X1 Case:
Built in temperature monitor. Big plus. Two tone. Not really a plus, but it matches with most of my room. (Either want a black case, or two tone.) I can flip the window so the fan is blowing over my GPU if I want to, and plus it has 120mm fan mounts in both the front and back. Plus its relativly cheap.

Reasons for Rosewill Fans:
Fan controller included in the box(es). Red and black. Matches the cold cathodes I have (red.) High CFM when I need it, low noise when I don't.

Reasons for Samsung DVD Burner:
DVD-RAM (12x), LightScribe, cheap, good review, and because I need one.

Open to any suggestions. Might drop the mobo for something else, because I probably *won't* use Crossfire. But - if I'm getting an ATI card I mind as well just in case. Plus its the cheapest DFI board.

Might drop the case, and fans and get some nice(er) speakers, but not sure about that yet. My case is *pretty* ugly.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,918 Posts

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
the RDX200 board isnt too much of a stable board. You should try to get the DFI CFX3200 with the Xpress 3200 chipset. One of the best boards for overclocking, the chipset can even take 1200mhz on the htt multi
A bit pricey though, but definetly worth it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Another guy sticking with 939! Woo! I'd get the RDX3200, the Xpress 200 chipset sucks.

Oh, and there's the LanParty nF4-D for $85...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by buster2010

from what i could see it has the micron 5b G chips http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/ is the micron better for oc'ing?

Wrong, they use Micron -5b D chips...which suck hardcore for overclocking. How do I know this? I have a 1gb set of ballistix that's basically the ram pook's wanting with half the ram chips taken off( as in one sided ram vs 2 sided ram)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
We're not trying to persuade you to get AM2 or Core 2 Duo. We're trying to help you with what is best bang for your money and save you the headache in the long run

If you really want 939, then thats your choice. Go for it

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
seems like new ram and new mobo wont add much, i say get the opty 165, maybe upgrade ram a bit but i agree, dropping that much money wont get you much more than what you have now. save up for conroe or whatever amd does in half a year.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmay7

the RDX200 board isnt too much of a stable board. You should try to get the DFI CFX3200 with the Xpress 3200 chipset. One of the best boards for overclocking, the chipset can even take 1200mhz on the htt multi
A bit pricey though, but definetly worth it.

Actually it will handle 1500+, check out my CPUZ's, those HTT's are stable. CFX3200 all day long.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Show me a good OCing, Crossfire, AM2 board then.

Main reason not going AM2. Plus if I was to go AM2, I could just go Conroe for cheaper.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Pook, yo could sell your rig for like at least $300-400 and probably could get more depending on who your selling to.
then youd have nice $800-900 for a sweet AM2 or Conroe rig

but i like the upgrades nonetheless

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

Pook, yo could sell your rig for like at least $300-400 and probably could get more depending on who your selling to.
then youd have nice $800-900 for a sweet AM2 or Conroe rig

but i like the upgrades nonetheless

I was thinking that too.

I just decide on one thing, then a few days later I have another idea and jump ship on the other one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts