Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just "sorted" all my screws... which screws are for which o_O so many different screws..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If they fit then it must be the right one

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are a few types of case screws from my experience.

1) Normal case screws. These are threaded slightly bigger then the holes inside in front bay drives like a dvd drive or hdd. These will not fit in those holes but are used to hold parts of the case together, including back mounting of pci cards and back covers.

2) Drive screws. Slightly thinner threaded. used almost exclusively to mount drives on the front of the case.

3) Fan Screws. These thick thread screws are used to cut into the plastic to hold the fan in place. they are big and chubby and sort of hard to confuse with any other screw in a case.

4) Custom screws. alot of components, heatsinks, fans and radiators can come with different sized screws used to mount them to whatever they are intended to go on. these screws can be quite different in length and thread from other computer screws, but from my experience alot of them use the same thread as (2) drive screws, just longer.

This is just a rule of thumb, there may be other types I am not aware of in cases I have not worked with.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You have your coarse thread and fine threaded screws pretty much. Coarse for case, mobo, pci cards, hard drives. Fine for cd/dvd and floppy. Thats about it, other then that they pretty much just have different heads.

When I get home I will take my old guide from school and pdf it if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
For fan to rad work 6-32 works out well,there is a metric equivalent. Be real careful with the lenght of fan to rad screws, swiftech likes to use plastic push rivets on their stackable units,very safe if nothing else.

WC fittings may initally look complex but a little experience will clear up any confusion.

For Antec hdd cages and side cover retainers are not the same thread.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theres a lot of philips hex head screws that i believe are used a lot for mother board mounting, drives, card mounting, psu mounting.

theres a lot of other ones that are philip head well but had like a flat washer like ring around the head of the screw..

then a lot of round headed philips screws too.

fan screws are really easily seen since they are big and "thick threaded" as some of you called it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
OHHHH that kind of screw... ok ok

The only ones I know by standard name are the 6-32 and the M3, they come in several lengths of course.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i heard 6-32 is a screw that has a thread every 1/32th of an inch. m3 iunoe what it is. heard it was used in lian li cases.. thats it

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
[email protected] title!

Anyway, I agree: if the screw fits and works smoothly and properly, then it's the right one. There doesn't need to be anymore thought put into it than this. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ok Here is my Personal Screw Guide

if the screw fits in the hole and keeps the thing secure its probably the right screw and if it isn't actually the right screw but its doing the same job who cares?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Here's another rule I have: if the screw feels good when you're screwing, then it's the right screw.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandroo888 View Post
wow....

@[email protected] *closes thread*
hehehehehe

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandroo888 View Post
wow....

@[email protected] *closes thread*

*ediit*

how to close thread? lol
Only your For Sale/Wanted/Appraisals/etc. threads can be closed. Otherwise, you have to be a moderator.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts