Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an N64, and would rather play on an SD TV. I'd like to keep it mid 20s, so it's not too heavy. What kind of SD CRT is good? I hear Sony Trinitrons are good.

·
Sgt. Wolf S. Bora
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontney View Post

I just picked up an N64, and would rather play on an SD TV. I'd like to keep it mid 20s, so it's not too heavy. What kind of SD CRT is good? I hear Sony Trinitrons are good.
I've always been a fan of Sony Trinitrons. I definitely recommend the flat screen CRTs, they remove the distortion from the curvature of the other screens. The only downside is that they are a bit heavier.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yes, Sony Trinitrons are the best CRT tv's back in Sony's hey day and perhaps golden years in the tv market. They even made 16:9 tube tv's with component input that did up to 1080i with 4:3 support.
I wish I could get my hand's on one, 32"-36" flat screen trinitron complete with remote and matching stand. Perfect for old school gaming.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post

Yes, Sony Trinitrons are the best CRT tv's back in Sony's hey day and perhaps golden years in the tv market. They even made 16:9 tube tv's with component input that did up to 1080i with 4:3 support.
I wish I could get my hand's on one, 32"-36" flat screen trinitron complete with remote and matching stand. Perfect for old school gaming.
I had a few of the 1080i ones.. Check your local thirft stores and ask them about it. Most CRTs get tossed now days.

·
Been there, done that
269 Posts
This ^ I do agree. However, the best device would be a SONY PVM "professional video monitor" these are aorund 20 to 25 years old pure analog but some had over 900 lines if resolution! AND
they have RGB inputs (all game consoles can be modified to have RGB as the video out put. Colors are much more vivid, and super crip images. Remember the arcades in the 80s? Those were professional video monitors with RGB, thats why they looked so darn good. Research some retro gaming logs. Lots of good data to take in.

They also have way better picture adjustment abilities.

Look at those inputs! These were the best out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post

I have a 36" flat screen Sony Trinitron sitting in my living room that I bought right when flat panels were starting to come out.... I will pay YOU to come take it. Better bring a gorilla to help you move it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
trinitrons are great, stay away from the hiscan models, i got one of those they're lousy. ive had good luck with toshiba crt, still have my 27af43, displays 240p signals with scanlines. Can get these for 10 bucks probably on craigslist.

If you're using a n64 be sure to get some s-video cables, much better than the standard composite (yellow/white/red)

·
Sgt. Wolf S. Bora
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothrpe View Post

trinitrons are great, stay away from the hiscan models, i got one of those they're lousy. ive had good luck with toshiba crt, still have my 27af43, displays 240p signals with scanlines. Can get these for 10 bucks probably on craigslist.

If you're using a n64 be sure to get some s-video cables, much better than the standard composite (yellow/white/red)
Back when I was in retail, I sold a ton of those 27AF43 sets. Great, solid performer. Apparently the Sony monitors that they used to use for TV and movie productions are supposed to be some of the best you can buy. You'd have to go to eBay for that though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts