Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.space.com/11309-antarctic...wassonite.html

Quote:

"Wassonite is a mineral formed from only two elements, sulfur and titanium, yet it possesses a unique crystal structure that has not been previously observed in nature," NASA space scientist Keiko Nakamura-Messenger said in a statement.

The mineral's name, approved by the International Mineralogical Association, honors John T. Wasson, a UCLA professor known for his achievements across a broad swath of meteorite and impact research.

Grains of Wassonite were analyzed from the meteorite that has been officially designated Yamato 691 enstatite chondrite. Chondrites are primitive meteorites that scientists think were remnants shed from the original building blocks of planets. Most meteorites found on Earth fit into this group

I can't even begin to imagine how long 4.5 BILLION years is.
Might as well be 10 Googles.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
The picture looks like a pterodactyl. You should be able to see the eye. I wonder what this material can do.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
More discoveries! I promise you.. once Antarctic starts to melt in certain areas we are gonna be finding peserved Dinosaur skins!
They did after all found a good perserved Mammoth long ago i remember seeing that on the discovery channel.

Who knows.. maybe they'd find more stuff that is also related to ancient times? Visitors visited us a million years ago? Lost stones? We know it was never that cold a million years ago down there wasn't it?

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,770 Posts
meteorites are an awesome thing to find. Me and my wife found one while out hiking, gonna send it of to ASU for verification. I love that stuff very interesting.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridCore
View Post

The picture looks like a pterodactyl. You should be able to see the eye. I wonder what this material can do.

Divide by zero.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Wait, its April and this new mineral looks like it is pronounced surprisingly close to "Whats on it"...
tongue.gif

I wonder what its properties are?

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [\/]Paris;13026114
Glad to see I'm not the only one who saw it. Ha.

More seriously, never mind dividing by zero, can it be manufactured into something than run Crysis?

In actual seriousness,

Pretty cool.
I was going to say can it run Crysis, but that joke has been beaten to death. Lol.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
wassonite, how long you been chilling there?

• Rep+
Reactions: ThePaperRoute

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1. discover Wassonite
2. gather 100 KGs of Wassonite
3. build epic Wassonite armor
4. ?????
5. profit !

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
So can we make more of this element by combining titanium and sulfur?

Or is this one of those elements that must combine in space, be at -220c for 2million years, then enter a planets atmosphere at exactly 3.1million years old, then be frozen in a glacier for .9million years..?

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
black oil? I went there.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore;13025739
the whole picture is a tiny fraction of a millimeter

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
a googol actually...but damn, i wonder what such a material can be used for? A combustible bullet maybe?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts