Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SE42UGT has been working flawlessly for the past almost a month. Today the TV went wonky and now all HDMI inputs are showing a distorted scrambled image (see attached images). If I go to menu or the internal apps like Netflix, it looks fine. I tried doing reset via menu, reset via service menu and unplugged power and still have the same issue. I am still within the 30 day return window for HHGregg for purchase date and 5 days from ship date. Anyone else have a similar issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There were quite a few issues reported in this thread. Not sure, whether to attribute them to end of year rush on assembly lines, insufficient HDMI chipset cooling for 60Hz bandwidth, or UPS negligence. Its unclear what share of all inventory shows defects, since regular folks tend to report defects, but seldom good performance, except forum junkies.
redface.gif

How far from heat sources was it placed? How many hours per day working? At 30 or 60Hz?

Try also deleting ALL display drivers in Device Manager, delete all relevant display EDID records in registry, reset your GPU in CC, then reboot.

Display info and EDID Overrides are written to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\DISPLAY
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

Video Card parameters:
HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TV has around 15 hours a week over the 3.5 weeks of use. The issue isn't related to the computer since it occurs on the HDMI input for my TIVO mini and well as for the computer. (HDMI 1 = computer and HDMI 2 = TIVO mini). Appears to be a TV motherboard board related issue. TV was on ~2 hours before it wigged out with HDMI 2 for TIVO. It cannot be heat related due to placement on a rolling monitor stand with no air blockage around it and it has been driven allot harder when testing the computer input via DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter via 4K/60Hz earlier this week.

After doing a unsuccessful reset (user and system with multiple power unplug/replug) and still had the issue, I unplugged the TV and let it sit for a couple of hours and plugged back in. It is now displaying properly. I was prepared to send it back to HHGregg tomorrow, but may just keep it and if it happens again this weekend, I'll send it back.

Update:
After 1 hour the TV started wigging out again. Guess I will need to do an RMA and send it back to HHGregg tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks like an overheating issue to me, the damage is usually accumulated over time, then a certain component starts malfunctioning.

Since you want to replace it anyway, may be you can open the back panel, do visual checkup on blown caps, signs of burn areas on the board. Then wait until the TV starts malfunctioning, and measure temperature on various chips and heatsinks with a multimeter. It may be that HDMI heatsink warped due to bad glue and doesn't touch fully the chip, there may be even a visible gap underneaths. In this case the heatsink will remain relatively cool during operation, and the chip under it will overheat. Looking at heatsink sizes, projected temps are definitely way to high at [email protected]

Such analysis would help to avoid similar problems in the future by adding a fan inside the case and checking heatsink attachment quality beforehand. Think what would you do if it happen next day after warranty expired? It well may be the case for some folks given large number of malfunction complains during the 1st few weeks of operation. It looks like some obvious board design errors and production quality glitches may need to be fixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamaracrillio View Post

It looks like an overheating issue to me, the damage is usually accumulated over time, then a certain component starts malfunctioning.

Since you want to replace it anyway, may be you can open the back panel, do visual checkup on blown caps, signs of burn areas on the board. Then wait until the TV starts malfunctioning, and measure temperature on various chips and heatsinks with a multimeter. It may be that HDMI heatsink warped due to bad glue and doesn't touch fully the chip, there may be even a visible gap underneaths. In this case the heatsink will remain relatively cool during operation, and the chip under it will overheat. Looking at heatsink sizes, projected temps are definitely way to high at [email protected]

Such analysis would help to avoid similar problems in the future by adding a fan inside the case and checking heatsink attachment quality beforehand. Think what would you do if it happen next day after warranty expired? It well may be the case for some folks given large number of malfunction complains during the 1st few weeks of operation. It looks like some obvious board design errors and production quality glitches may need to be fixed.
I don't want to affect my return to HHGregg, so don't feel it is good mojo to disassemble the TV. At this point I don't plan on another SE42UGT. I may hold off and get a more mainstream brand. My SE39UY04 worked like champ in the 2+ years I had it, though and wish the SE42UGT would have also..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts