Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howsit guys, getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148337 soon. What problems can i expect.? Is there anything i need to do before i connect it to my system.eg. Update firmware.? Is this drive reliable.? I got it for backing up my stuff and the last thing i need is the drive failing on me. Always thought seagate was indestructible coz i still got my 40gb from 6years ago but i heard that theres problems with the 7200.11. Any help is highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
You want to upgrade the firmware ASAP, as the 1tb and 1.5tb drives had bad firmware that caused them to die.

So do that, after that you don't need to worry, besides the norm. Like don't fill it past 80% capacity, and keep it defraged often.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dude. So i can expect the drive to last more than 6years like my last seagate.? +rep for the help.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Archetype
View Post

Thanks dude. So i can expect the drive to last more than 6years like my last seagate.? +rep for the help.

6 years is hard to say.

I have never had a Seagate last more than 2 years for me.
I've had a bad experience with them. But I am always swapping off large amounts of Data, so its more or less my fault.

But I say you could/should expect atleast 4 years of life out of it, as long as you take care of your drive.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
you should be able to expect at least 4 years of use from it, probably even longer.

i personally have around 20 Seagate HDDs ranging from 7200.7 to 7200.11 and i have never had a problem with any.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I haven't had any issue with Seagate drives not lasting well past their warranty period.

I normally replace my drives because much larger drives are available not failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts