Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I did not come up with the original solution to this, but I did take the provided information and turn it into a "no brainer" tutorial with step-by-step clear instructions, pictures, and proper English since the original fix was posted by people who used English as a 2nd language and was somewhat confusing.

Quote:
Drive is Busy (a.k.a. BSY) error.

Drive tested with this solution was a ST3500320AS with firmware SD15 and worked perfectly using all of the steps provided below.

FIRST, PAY ATTENTION TO UPPER AND LOWER CASE WHEN TYPING THINGS INTO HYPERTERMINAL!!!!!!!!

Step 1: Remove the PCB (circuit board on the drive), take note of where the PCB makes contact with the actual hard drive. Leave the motor contacts connected, and put something like a business card or piece of thick paper between PCB and hard drive where the other connector is. Replace all the screws you can, and snug down at lease a couple of them furthest away from where the business card is stuffed in there.

Step 2: Connect the RX, TX, and GND wires from your custom fabricated cable to the drive. I used a CA-42 cell phone cable and it worked perfectly. (Note that the RX as listed on your cable goes to the TX on the Hard Drive, and the TX as listed on your cable goes to the RX on the Hard Drive).

I Purchased mine from eBay seller "edirect" for $5.35 and took 1 week to arrive. I recommend purchasing a cable you know works such as this one. The large plastic end comes off very easily and is clearly labeled on the circuit board which wire is which.

Here's the pin arrangement on the drive - remember to hook up the RX and TX "backwards" or you will not be able to talk to the drive.

Step 3: Plug the SATA power cable into the drive, and wait until drive motor stops.

Step 4: Open Hyperterminal, when prompted choose the COM port that your cable is using. If you are unsure of which COM port to use, check your device manager (look in the "ports" sub-section) to see which COM port your cable is using. Choose 38400, 8, None, 1, None in the COM properties box that should pop up. If you hit "OK" and you get no errors, you should be in.

Step 5: Type ctrl+z and you should see a prompt that says F3 T>

Step 6: Type /2 and press enter. It should say F3 2>

Step 7: Type Z and press enter. It should say "Spin Down Complete, Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs", the elapsed time may not be the same - that's OK.

Step 8: Remove business card and mount the PCB as normal, tighten up all the screws.

Step 9: Type U and press enter. It should say "Spin Up Complete, Elapsed Time 6.864 secs". Again, the elapsed time may not be the same and that's OK.

This next part is not necessary, it's just checking that everything is OK. Use this when the first try fails (command F712 works only on 500 GB 7200.11 drives with firmware SD15, if this isn't your Firmware version just skip this part.)

Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

Type F,,22 and press enter. It should say Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

(This is the end of the part that was not necessary unless the first try failed).

Step 10: You should see F3 T> at this point, type /1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 11: Type N1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 12: Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

***edit***
A fellow member with SD15 firmware sent me this message and I thought it should be added in case you guys are having problems. I didn't need to do the following step that is in italics but apparently some people have trouble unless they do this....
before you type the command m22,0,0,0,0,22 you need to disconnect power and reconnect.. wait about 10-20 seconds then enter that command or else it will not work.
***edit***

Step 13: Type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 and press enter. (Note the "m" is lower case and the 0's are zeros). It should say.....

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

And should bring you back to the F3 T> Prompt.

Step 14: Unplug the SATA power cable from your drive, unhook the RX, TX, and GND wires. Turn off computer and re-install your drive. Everything *should* be working fine. Be sure to update your drive with the latest firmware as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
what the!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw, if anyone needs to do this I will let you use my cable/driver disk for free as long as you cover shipping both ways and promise to give it back when your done

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi my77stang. i have got the same issue ,as i have no comp port on asus p5q pro ,so would the nokia 7610 datacable which looks similar would work fine

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, you chop the end of the cable off and then connect the wires to some small jumper wires that can be plugged into the pins on the drive. i used front panel wires from an old computer case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks you very much...!!!!!
Its work with a HDD MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 22 500Gb, Firmware MX15
has been dead for 2 month!!! and now is alive... Thanks
i use the CA-42 cable. and GTKTerm in Ubuntu....

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Wow, a lot of first time posters. I hope they all gave you REP+

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope this this thread is not dead by now, but I have the same problem with my Seagate 1.5 terabyte drive (ST31500341AS- Barracuda 7200.11). Called the company. As soon as I told them the part number and serial number they said it was hopeless, but my drive's symptoms seem to be exactly like those described in this thread.

One day the drive was there, the next day it wasn't. The BIOS did not allow the system to boot, although it would identify the drive. The BIOS states that there are ZERO megabytes on the drive. The drive was set up to boot Win7 RC. The drive powers up, and I can hear the actuator arm do the normal seqence just like my other 1.5 TB drive. There is no evil grinding noise. The drive cannot be read on other computers. The computer that the drive came from works fine with the other Vista and Xp boot drives. Jumpering the two left sided pins to slow down the drive does no good.

I have attempted a PC board switch -- no luck, cause the boards were manufactured too far apart. I tried the My77stang CA-42 cable and reprogramming fix. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to communicate with the drive using Hyperterminal or any other program. I believe the problem may be due to the wire designation on my part. Not all CA-42 cables are made the same, and many do not have the Tx, Rx, GND, Vss designation on the USB to TTL converter board. In one cable, the six colored wires set was completely different. The other two cable I tore apart only had three wires (white, blue, black). One normally assumes that GND is either black or green, but I am still unable to get any sort of handshake. I tried buying the exact same blue cable as pictured in the beginning of the thread, but was sent a generic cable, again with the blue, white, black whites and no labels on the converter board.

I would hook the wires up to an oscilloscope if I had one. Is there any way to easily dertermine the proper wire designation on the generic cable and get Hyperterminal to talk to my drive?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jroymd View Post
I hope this this thread is not dead by now, but I have the same problem with my Seagate 1.5 terabyte drive (ST31500341AS- Barracuda 7200.11). Called the company. As soon as I told them the part number and serial number they said it was hopeless, but my drive's symptoms seem to be exactly like those described in this thread.

One day the drive was there, the next day it wasn't. The BIOS did not allow the system to boot, although it would identify the drive. The BIOS states that there are ZERO megabytes on the drive. The drive was set up to boot Win7 RC. The drive powers up, and I can hear the actuator arm do the normal seqence just like my other 1.5 TB drive. There is no evil grinding noise. The drive cannot be read on other computers. The computer that the drive came from works fine with the other Vista and Xp boot drives. Jumpering the two left sided pins to slow down the drive does no good.

I have attempted a PC board switch -- no luck, cause the boards were manufactured too far apart. I tried the My77stang CA-42 cable and reprogramming fix. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to communicate with the drive using Hyperterminal or any other program. I believe the problem may be due to the wire designation on my part. Not all CA-42 cables are made the same, and many do not have the Tx, Rx, GND, Vss designation on the USB to TTL converter board. In one cable, the six colored wires set was completely different. The other two cable I tore apart only had three wires (white, blue, black). One normally assumes that GND is either black or green, but I am still unable to get any sort of handshake. I tried buying the exact same blue cable as pictured in the beginning of the thread, but was sent a generic cable, again with the blue, white, black whites and no labels on the converter board.

I would hook the wires up to an oscilloscope if I had one. Is there any way to easily dertermine the proper wire designation on the generic cable and get Hyperterminal to talk to my drive?
I pm'd the threads creator for you, hopefully you'll get a response sometime in the next 12hrs. Welcome to ocn

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
jroymd, Dude just send it in to i365 and if it is a firmware problem they will fix it for free! All the information on the drive still exists, but is just unaccessible because of the firmware. My drive just went out about a week ago, and they fixed it in about 3 days. I work really close to where Seagate fixes their harddrives in Santa Clara, so it wasn't a problem for me.

What firmware do you have? If it is version sd15 firmware, then it is a simple fix and they will do it for free!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad to see this thread is still of some service to everyone, loosing a hard drive is a real pain in the butt to say the least.

I don't think we're allowed to link to eBay on here, but an auction number from the guy I had originally bought my cable from is 370128943335 and the sellers name is edirect. I just purchased another cable from a different seller who was cheaper (loaned mine out to a fellow OC.net user and have yet to receive it back, and I have a couple drives here in need of fixing). I'll find out if this one has the RX, TX, and GND wires listed on the circuit board like they did on the cable from the seller I listed in this post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also trying to get the communication with the CA-42 to work, using Hyperterminal in XP.
jroymd - One way of finding out what cable colors is which is to use a volt/resistance meter and step through the pins/cabels on at a time. I found the following picture of the CA-42 temrinal pin out:

The CA-42 cabel I have seems to be in passive mode until you attach it to a cellphone - then XP detects it and set up the COM-port. Does any one know that triggers this? Is it possible to find a work around? Or do I need to use a Linux-clone?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get a driver disk with your cable? It's important to have that or it will NOT work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I did get the Nokia driver CD but it doesn't make any difference. I've tested it on a Win2k PC as well with the same result - the CA-42 USB is not active until a cellphone is plugged in (I've got to CA42 cables and one is "uncut"). Could the problem be that the OS recognize the C-42 cable as a Nokia USB Modem in stead of a serial COM-port? Any one got a clue?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
O_O Holy crap this is epic! Nice job +rep

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the +rep

If I remember correctly, when I plugged in the CA-42 cable to my PC and installed the drivers it showed another COM port in device manager. For reference, I was using 32-bit Windows XP. I could be wrong because it's been awhile since I fixed my drive but I'll be doing another couple drives in the next few days and I'll be able to confirm this.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just booted into my Win XP 32 drive to do some other work this morning and checked device manager. It said FDTI (or was it FTDI?!? or was it.....?!?) USB to Serial drivers - or something like that... and that shows up without the cable plugged in.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts