Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have a Seagate ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB HD with firmware JC45, manufacture date: 2011-02-10 that has crapped out. It is not my windows drive, data only. It was working just fine then all of a sudden it just froze up and i had to restart computer. Upon restart it spun up as normal, clicked 11 times then spun down. nothing in BIOS or windows. I plugged it int another computer same thing. except one time it registered as ST_M13FQBL in device manager.Thinking the head might be jammed i opened it up in clean environment and nothing looked jammed or damaged. Platters flawless. A search revealed that maybe firmware bug had hit. I have followed all the guides around and multiple terminal programs and windows XP Windows 7 and Win10 and i cannot get any response from drive via serial to USB connection.

I've read that some drives are locked out and need to be "shorted" to have access. Is this true?

The PCB looks flawless, no signs of damage anywhere.

I know the serial interface is good because a guy at work uses it for programming other things.

Any thoughts or advice would be great. Most of the data i have backed up but there are a few things i'd like to have back. Thanks in advance!

Tony

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've came to the rare occassions that this worked , there are some numbers on the bottom of your PCB by the SATA ports to where they swapped it out with another one and they were able to extract the data off successfully with no problem. this can be found on ebay.

only issue is - it's about 50-60$ ~ depending on the model # of the drive

this is a quick snap shot on what to look for. the number must be identical for that procedure to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply. Any idea if the clicking is consistent with the firmware bug? Info is on that is scarce

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
a consistent clicking indicates to me that the arm / robotics is going out.

your easiest bet would be to replace it at this point.

However, we can try a couple quick checks.

did you look into " Computer Management " > " Disk Management " and see if it comes up at all?

Did you try to change your sata cable?

did you try to run any S.M.A.R.T checks at all for possibility of it being recognized?

try these steps first before we determine if it's indeed bad or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing comes up in disk management
I've tried multiple computers and SATA/power cables
seagate ultilites find no drive

I thought i read somewhere that the head is trying to access something but a firmware bug is preventing it. Cont seem to find where i read it

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
ok, then that definitely answeres my questions.

the only other way would be that MAY work but i cant say that it will definitely work is to replace the PCB with another one off ebay.

easier way would be to replace that sucker :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts