Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went to my friends house and he gave me a 1tb HDD that has some issues. I go home and I check the warranty info come to find out it has a warranty until Jun-2014. Shocking I know right? So how is seagate RMA where do I buy those clam shells needed to ship the drive?

·
Registered
548 Posts
You can't buy them.

I had to pay $10 to do an advanced RMA to get a Box + label + clam shells.

Their slow, and you HAVE TO HAVE a Seatools code.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matada View Post

You can't buy them.
I had to pay $10 to do an advanced RMA to get a Box + label + clam shells.
Their slow, and you HAVE TO HAVE a Seatools code.
Umm was there a box to check to get the advance RMA? If I missed it can I get it from them any ways? I do have the Seatools code I did not skip over that part.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There's an option for $10/drive.
The first time they were very quick.

The one time my boot drive was having some clicking issues, I sent it in, three weeks prior to a LAN thinking it'd make it back on time.

Things went hectic.
Had to talk to manager, he was going to 'overnight it', but turns out it takes longer to print a shipping label, slap it on a box and put it in the overnight pile versus leaving it to 'continue processing' via UPS ground.

Was very upset, but if all goes well you should be fine.
I left mine in an anti-static bag, used the foam they used when they sent me mine, (very structural form foam, hard drive crafted so it fit perfectly).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post

There's an option for $10/drive.
The first time they were very quick.
The one time my boot drive was having some clicking issues, I sent it in, three weeks prior to a LAN thinking it'd make it back on time.
Things went hectic.
Had to talk to manager, he was going to 'overnight it', but turns out it takes longer to print a shipping label, slap it on a box and put it in the overnight pile versus leaving it to 'continue processing' via UPS ground.
Was very upset, but if all goes well you should be fine.
I left mine in an anti-static bag, used the foam they used when they sent me mine, (very structural form foam, hard drive crafted so it fit perfectly).
It seems I overlooked the $10 any ideas can I talk to support and get it that way? Will they accept home made packaging?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dunno on either one.

If I replaced a HD It was always Advanced. Not messing around with packaging, and I had no ESD bags.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by matada View Post

Dunno on either one.
If I replaced a HD It was always Advanced. Not messing around with packaging, and I had no ESD bags.
i have but loads of ESD bags, Hmm will give the homemade remedy a shot. I mean I got the drive for free no skin of my nose if they do not take it.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Last year I RMAd my 500gb drive and since I new it was dead I just put the code for dead. I didn't run the tools actually. I used a flat rate box. I put the HDD in an anti-static bag and covered with bubble plastic to the point it would barely fit in the small flat rate box. I sent the drive and I got another one in about 1-1/2 weeks. It was fast and easy.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink View Post

Last year I RMAd my 500gb drive and since I new it was dead I just put the code for dead. I didn't run the tools actually. I used a flat rate box. I put the HDD in an anti-static bag and covered with bubble plastic to the point it would barely fit in the small flat rate box. I sent the drive and I got another one in about 1-1/2 weeks. It was fast and easy.
Thanks! Now I know how to ship this HDD off now. ^___^ I am like pumped to RMA this who doesn't love a free 1tb hard drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts