Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Back to Building
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to be doing a new watercooling build and im going to need some new fans

basically i like

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12122/fan-791/Silverstone_Air_Penetrator_AP121-RL_120_x_120_x_25mm_Fan_-_Red_LED_SST-AP121-RL.html?tl=g36c331s518

except that its silver casing, i want either clear or black.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10269/fan-669/Yate_Loon_Clear_120mm_x_25mm_Red_LED_Fan_-_Medium_Speed_D12SM-12.html?tl=g36c331s518

except that it is 4 pin (i want a 3 pin only) and its nasty colored cables compared the nice sleeve that is on the silverstone

is there any that is like this 2 put together ?

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
What sort of radiator do you have as that will dictate if you need hihg or low speed fans. Also are you going for maximum OC's or a quiet pc, or maybe something in between.

For what its worth I love my GT AP-14's they ahve some great staic pressure for their RPM (1450) and they are virtually SILENT.

But let us know what you want to do and what rad you have since some need high speed fans....

·
Back to Building
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I'm certain someone will correct me but I think that Black Ice rads need higher RPM fans. I think that since it is relatively thin it also lends itself to faster fans.

I know it is not listed here but take a look at this review at Skinnie and remember that your rad has a high FPI (fins per inch) and is noticably thinner that those tested.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I would stay away from the Silverstone AP-121. I have heard a lot of disappointing reviews. It has low airflow and pressure. Its big brother the AP-181 is an awesome fan but the ap-121 is a disappointment.

Besides, you don't need a fan with directed airflow like the AP fans if it going to be on a radiator. The AP fans are better as case fans if you want to direct a jet of cool air towards a certain component like the intake fan of a graphics card.

As mentioned above, you can't go wrong with the gentle typhoon line of fans. I have 3 in my sig rig. A 1000 RPM model as the top exhaust case fan and two 1850 RPM models on my megahalems CPU cooler (they are on a fan controller, usually at around 1,000-1,400 rpm). I find 1400 rpm to be the threshold of silence. Anything faster and you can hear them, although they are still very quiet.

Unfortunately the gentle typhoons used to come with sleeved cables but now come with exposed colored wires...

·
Back to Building
4,864 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Quote:
No No No you are heading down the wrong direction.

What you need are fans with high static pressure.

Fans with high static pressure can help push air throught the fins better then a similar fan with similar CFM.

Look at some deltas. They make High quality, High static pressure fans. (At a price tho)

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Deltas are like jet engines though... I know he said he didn't care about sound, but at some point it comes into play.

OP - Will you be getting a fan controller?

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Back to Building
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tats;11974896
Deltas are like jet engines though... I know he said he didn't care about sound, but at some point it comes into play.

OP - Will you be getting a fan controller?
yeah was looking at something like this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11435/bus-230/Lamptron_30W_-_4_Channel_Aluminum_Rheobus_w_Multi_Color_Backlit_LED_-_Version_2_-_Black_FC-5V2_w_Brighter_Display.html

and well i dont really care about sound but i dont want a jet engine in there lol

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Good Idea;11974934
i just bought these. and they are great!!!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0353929
What do you know about fans?

And in what sense are they great?

That looks like a horrible blade design.

I think you should get deltas. With reviews like this by people likes these its a definite yes

Awsomereviews.jpg

LOL!!

Jokes aside this is a 240CFM. Probably more air flow then your entire case ATM. Delta dont over rate there fans.

At 5600RPM there is a serious danger of losing your finger nail / pads

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffStuff1;11974957

i know that they are pushing about 87 cfms through my 240 rad and providing me excellent cooling and relatively low noise compared to the K3000s i had in a tight space. dont question me or start an argument, just provide info to the op. if you disagree with what i have to say i dont care.

edit: deltas are nuts but the sound is equally nuts... you cant have pets or small children near the fan or it might suck them in.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I have a 140mm version of the aerocool shark and I think it is a great fan. The 140mm version did pretty good in this test which also happened to be done on a radiator.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/881725-140mm-fan-testing-hwlabs-sr1-radiator.html

I know this is the 140mm and not the 120mm version but it is worth mentioning.

But you might also notice just how awesome the gentle typhoon did compared to the 140mm fans... Just sayin...

·
Back to Building
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffStuff1;11974957

I think you should get deltas. With reviews like this by people likes these its a definite yes

Awsomereviews.jpg

LOL!!

Jokes aside this is a 240CFM. Probably more air flow then your entire case ATM. Delta dont over rate there fans.

At 5600RPM there is a serious danger of losing your finger nail / pads
except i need them to be red led fans, and 5600rpm is a bit much. Also i was planing on hookup all 6 of my planned radiator fans to my fan controller so since each channel is 30w that means each fan assuming 2 per channel needs to consume 15w or less and those are like 30w each lol. That and they are ugly lol

·
Back to Building
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Good Idea;11974980
i know that they are pushing about 87 cfms through my 240 rad and providing me excellent cooling and relatively low noise compared to the K3000s i had in a tight space. dont question me or start an argument, just provide info to the op. if you disagree with what i have to say i dont care.

edit: deltas are nuts but the sound is equally nuts... you cant have pets or small children near the fan or it might suck them in.
they look nice, thanks for the pics

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Well forums exist to discuss things. The fans could be good. My first impression is that they aren't. Looking at the specs they look promising but im still skeptical.
Quote:
LOL... This is true with there high performance fans. They wouldn't mind eating your term paper if you went commando with your fans.

Not all deltas are really loud. Most are quieter then there Sleeve bearing counter parts.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Quote:

Well the air flow would be cut down due to the rad so saying pushing 87 CFM through you rad is a bit much.

"ON TOPIC":

OP what about the CoolerMaster 120mm Silent Red LED Fan 90 CFM (supposed, probably 60 CFM) but they are red and I have heard good things about them minus the exaggerated specs but these deliver where it counts.

R4-L2R-20AR-R1.jpg

Dimension.........................120x120x25 mm
Speed (R.P.M.)..................2000 R.P.M.
Air Flow (CFM)...................69.69 CFM
Air pressure (mmH2O).........2.94 mmH2O
Bearing Type.....................Long Life Sleeve
Voltage............................12VDC
Current (Ampere)...............0.35A
Fan Noise Level (dB-A) ......19 dB-A (questionable)
Fan Life Expectancy...........50,000 hours

It seems as though they have fixed up some of their specs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts