Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the rig on which this post is being written: Asus EEEPC 1000HE, bios-modded to 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, X25M-80GB SSD. It has one of the best matte TN screens that ended up on a Windows laptop south of 500$, 6h+ battery life and the hinge still keeps the screen in whatever position I leave it. I paid 450$ back in the day, 2009 I think. The OS is a heavily optimized and stripped W7 32bit (yeey 7-lite)

In the last few years it started feeling slower between HD on Youtube and Javascript heavy sites like economist or *gasp* theverge; but there may be something on the horizon: BayTrail

My problem is that the HP-stream-s of the world are unappealing: bad screens, lower battery life than what I have now, still 2GB of RAM after all these years and lowly non-replaceble eMMC storage. It is 100$, but I don't want that. I want a 2015 EEEPC-like rig with 2-4 cores BayTrail/C2D class, that has screen with decent contrast and 8h+ battery life. I can live with the RAM and eMMC if it can't be helped.

Thanks, waiting for your ideas

·
Politically incorrect
9,464 Posts
You need to look at Win 8.1 tablets for what you are after. Netbooks have been replaced with the likes of the Asus T100TA and others such as the Voyo Winpad A9 or Cube iWork10. The Winpad A9 has the best internals with a Z3770 (turbo 2.4), 4GB RAM, a 64GB eMMC (the other two have 32) and an 1920x1080 IPS screen. The T100 has the longest battery life and a 500GB HD in the keyboard.

All three are Bay Trail-T and 10.1" screens but different resolutions.

I would recommend the Winpad over the Transformer as they cost the same but the Winpad is clearly superior.

Alternatively you can also look at even cheaper and smaller tablets but they are 8" and are even more limited in hardware.

• Rep+
Reactions: dragosmp

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas, I've looked at your suggestions. My thoughts:
*Winpad probably the best of the 3, I'm having a hard time finding it in France, so it's being put on the side for now
*Asus T100TA - 2GB of RAM and eMMC are a bit of a bummer
*Asus VivoBook X200MA - after I swap in an SSD it should be quite ok from a performance standpoint; this is my most likely candidate, but what about battery life and it seems the screen is quite bad, more research needed

Rep+

if someone has other ideas or thoughts
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Consider the u310 or possibly the yoga 2? Both are quite slim 13" and I believe the ssd/ram are serviceable as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts