Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 4 weeks ago i bought a season sonic focus 850watt too replace my old power and cooling 750watt. system is a ryzen 1700 @ 3.95 with a 1080ti and a 1080 which i use for mining also.

Everything was fine and stable with the power and cooling than i decided too put that in my 2nd system that i use for mining also so i bought the focus 850watt for my main system and everything was fine for a week than now sometimes pc will shut down and too get it back on i need too flick the power switch on the psu...

This has happen like 4 times now... 2 times last week which than i put everything in bios on stock and stuff was going ok than all sudden it happen a week after and i found if i put the 1080ti on 85% power target it seems too be ok again.... Than i put everything back in bios too my oc profile and even the 1080ti on 100% and it was fine for almost a week...

Welp just 30min ago it happen again... just a hard shut down and i had too flick the switch on and off on the psu...

Is this new psu failing already ??? Cause with my old power and cooling 750watt which i bought in 2009 i never had these issues... So i know its not a watt issue if the old one had 0 issues...

I also tested the psu with my volt meter and all the rails are solid just like my power and cooling.

So at the moment im out of ideas... All i could think is the psu decided it cant handle the load even tho doeisnt make sense cause a older less powered psu does...

The 1080 is doing around 150watts cause i have that undervolted and the 1080ti is doing around 240 250watts with 85% power, Its around 270-280 with 100% pretty much both are at stock except the memorys.

And with the ryzen i would say total system power is around 600-650 give or take.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,907 Posts
You could just have gotten unlucky and gotten a bad one off so if you are sure its the new PSU RMA it
Your PC by the way is not drawing as much as you think it is and you can knock off at least 100 watts from that number you came up with

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could just have gotten unlucky and gotten a bad one off so if you are sure its the new PSU RMA it
Your PC by the way is not drawing as much as you think it is and you can knock off at least 100 watts from that number you came up with

yea i might try the power and cooling back in it again for a week too make sure before i rma it and also put the seasonic in my 2nd rig and see how it does in that.

tho these problems ony started too happen right after the new psu was in sadly:/

Tho i thought of something can a weak surge protector cause this? Like maybe the seasonic is very sensitive than the power and cooling? Cause it is like 8 too 10 year old.

And yea pretty much i just went by what hwin64 is telling me at load 280watt for the 1080ti 140-150watt for the 1080 and 120watt too 180watt on the cpu depending on the overclock. than like 30 too 50watts for everything else fans etc.

but your a psu guy so you know more than me hehe:)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K i have a update. I think i solved the issue so far... On the site it says the psu has its own protection which motherboards also has its own protection which can give false shut downs and said too turn that off in bios.

Now there is no way too turn that off on gigabyte from what i can see.... So what i did was uninstalled all the gigabyte software except the rgb one cause i always use the bios for everything anyways.

And i went back in windows put the 1080ti back on 100% power and well so far day and a half no shut downs at all.....

So it seems either the psu didn't like the apps or the apps didn't like the psu and was giving off false readings somewhere... Even tho i had no issues before with my old psu.

But yea that was a 9 year old psu so it doeisnt have the tech built in as these new psus do.

But yea so far everything running smoothly :)

wondered if this happen too anyone else out there like this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts