Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

THE QUESTIONS IS: do you think Seasonic X750 is worth the extra ~$60 it would cost me. (I can currently get HX750 at ZZfly for 150-20mir-15 e-bill discount, vs. $185 for X750)

Long story short, I currently have a PPC Silencer 750w, which is (by my standards) VERY far from silent. It is currently noticeably the loudest component in my sig rig, and I find the fan noise quite annoying.

For a while, I was thinking about upgrading to the Corsair HX750, but recently discovered the Seasonic X750 PSU, which has gotten great reviews and, what I like most about it, has a very quiet fan. The fan is actually turned off up until the system is at 25% load or so.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
go with the seasonic if you want extreme silence, it seems like a good psu for that what are you planning on doing with your old PSU?

But if you were on a budget the HX750 is also very silent from what i've heard

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
If you want to upgrade to the Seasonic for its silence, then I don't see why not. It's also capable of over 90% efficiency, which is still quite uncommon, and it's completely modular. What more could you want (other than a lower price tag)?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by I AM TEH LAW GIVAH
View Post

go with the seasonic if you want extreme silence, it seems like a good psu for that what are you planning on doing with your old PSU?

But if you were on a budget the HX750 is also very silent from what i've heard

[REMOVED]

Quote:

If you want to upgrade to the Seasonic for its silence, then I don't see why not. It's also capable of over 90% efficiency, which is still quite uncommon, and it's completely modular. What more could you want (other than a lower price tag)?

Silence is one of my primary goals, and it does seem like Seasonics lead the way in this category (even though PPC and Corsairs are made by Seasonic, too)

Yeah, the efficiency is awesome, and what's what's more is that noise and ripple on these Seasonics is absolutely mind blowing (from the reviews I've read).

That price tag bites VERY hard though...

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The SeaSonic X series is top shelf in every sense of the word. You're getting what you pay for, and that's one of the best PSUs around. Whether you're willing to pay for that quality is up to you.

Seriously though, I have a Corsair TX750W, and I can't even hear it. It's probably the quietest fan in my system. My system as a whole is probably ~25-30dB, and I'm thinking the PSU fan is less than 20dB.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Corsair PSUs, at least CWT-based units, seem to use Yate Loons, while the Seasonic X650 and X750 (here's hoping to an X850 and further) uses a 9S-series San Ace that only comes on once you start putting REAL loads on it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
The SeaSonic X series is top shelf in every sense of the word. You're getting what you pay for, and that's one of the best PSUs around. Whether you're willing to pay for that quality is up to you.

Seriously though, I have a Corsair TX750W, and I can't even hear it. It's probably the quietest fan in my system. My system as a whole is probably ~25-30dB, and I'm thinking the PSU fan is less than 20dB.
Yeah, from what I've read, 750TX is quieter than 750HX. The thing is, I do like the modularity and efficiency of HX and Seasonic better. I'm just trying to decide whether I want to spend the money on it, as I'm also thinking of buying 3x Noctua fans and an RX360 rad.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ymetushe
View Post

I'm also thinking of buying 3x Noctua fans and an RX360 rad.

Use S-Flex Es instead, much better than Noctuas for quiet performance (and GentleTyphoons if you ever step the rad up to a Black Ice GTX).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Tough choice. In all honesty I think the HX750 is a better deal. You will probably hardly even notice the difference in sound...if at all. Performance wise there isn't much of an advantage......definitely not $50+ worth of performance with the Seasonic X750. Both have excellent voltage regulation, ripple suppression, and build quality.

They both have almost identical efficiency numbers:

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_r...50W_Report.pdf

http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_r...50W_Report.pdf

Also the Corsair HX750 has a 7 year warranty, while Seasonic's offering has 5 years of coverage.....if you care about such things.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Well it comes down to functionality, really. Do you want fully modular, or half modular? Do you want flat modular cables or traditional ones? There's also the option of having the HX850 instead of the HX750, whereas right now there's no X-850.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I forgot to mention Corsair's legendary customer service.....to some that's worth $$ as well. I lost a set of PCI-E cables in a move. Contacted Corsair and the new set was at my door free of charge in 6 days.

I have no experience with Seasonic's support structure so it may or may not be as good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts