Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for a while i have had this idea to add a touch screen second monitor to the front panel of my desktop (where those DVD drive bay things are that no one seems to use in 2017....i have done this mod a few times now ...but in the past i used a netbook laptop disassembled and shoved into the front panel....i used the front panel screen with a program called sharemouse ....after trying that a couple times i realized it was too much work /looked crappy/and was also not functionally what i was looking for....so anyway after a while i started looking up portable HDMI 7'' mini monitors and i finally found one(720p resolution) and put it in the front panel of my desktop and wired all the cords in through the back of the case,drilled a small hole in the back of my case to pass the hdmi cord through to my graphics card....i think it adds all kinds of useful functionality to my setup-(music ,strategy guides,messaging apps,capture devices,sky is the limit... i have always wondered why case manufacturers do not do this sorta thing...i think the only thing that would make this mod better is touch functionality....all i had to do was take off the dvd drive bays doors and it fit like a glove....glued it on there with some JB weld and all that is left to do is cut a small piece of the brushed aluminium and glue it into place to make it look perfect....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
specs-Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D ATX
CPU: Intel i7 4970K (4.0/4.4 GHZ, 4 core/8 thread)
CPU cooler: Corsair H110 280mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3, w/ optional light bar kit
PSU: Corsair AX760 [80 Plus platinum rated], w/ Custom para-cord sleeved cables
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Aura RGB
Fans: 7 Thermaltake Riing RGB fans w/ controllers ( 2-120mm , 5-140mm )

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i kinda did the whole process in like 2 hours with a dremmel and some epoxy....i always forget to take pictures when i am doing this kinda stuff.....sorry....i will take some pictures with the panel pulled off when i get the small hole under the screen filled in with that aluminum piece i want to get laser cut

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnighthawk666 View Post

...where those DVD drive bay things are that no one seems to use in 2017...
I wish people would quit calling me "no one".
wink.gif

All seriousness (?) aside, where did you get the monitor?

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnighthawk666 View Post

i bought it locally here on Vancouver island off of a kijiji seller ....some ebay store guy that sells all kinds of this stuff ....any way here is a link to the exact one i have on ebay for 50 bux https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-LCD-CCTV-Monitor-HD-PC-Screen-AV-RCA-VGA-HDMI-1024-600-Video-w-Speaker-/391904991024
Thanks! The location in the listing surprised me. It actually states that the vendor uses Amazon to warehouse, pick, pack, and ship it's merchandise. Amazon Fulfilled Marketplace Vendors normally do not disclose that when listing on eBay (it also costs more to buy from them through eBay than to buy directly through Amazon). This is the same one on Amazon (it may or may not be the same vendor; vendors often use different names on different websites and, sometimes, even on the same website)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think there is probably better options out there for a front panel screen than this monitor(needs touch function to be truly useful ) ....but for now im satisfied....right now im struggling with the texts and stuff in the mini monitor not being large enough to read from a comfortable distance.....it wont let me run custom scaling separately on this monitor for some reason- ....but all that aside i will find a fix ...even if i have to run a virtual desktop on the mini display or something

1 - 8 of 8 Posts