Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been opening thread about this several times but NOW, I finally decided to upgrade/buy a new pc.

Old pc:

CPU: i7 950
cooler: corsair h80i GT
display: evga gtx 470
ram: 6GB
motherboard: asus sth
hdd: 1TB
ssd: samsung 850 256GB
case: antec 900
monitor: 22" 1080p dell, 24" 1080p samsung
capture card: elgato hd60pro

The reason why I want to upgrade is that The PSU in my old pc generated too much noise in general. idk if that is coil whine but it's annoying af.

and I recently got a gigabyte mini gtx 970. so i think i might as well upgrade the whole build.

my budget is <1000$ cad with the stuff that i got (e,g, SSD, cooler, display card, monitors, capture card). And it's for a little photoshop work, MORE gaming and streaming

i might wanna upgrade the 22" dell into some 24" 144hz monitor in the future. and Idk if i should keep the cooler if there is a chance to get a mini ITX case. ( or even upgrade to h100i or air cooling?)

what would u guys think about a new list about my pc? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The xeon, some more ram and a 144hz screen seem like all you would really need. You could update the cooler, but it should be adequate for most situations.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
A newer CPU like the 6700k would probably be an upgrade for gaming, but the 6 core xeon they are suggesting would be a better upgrade for photoshop and streaming. Its really whatever takes priority at this point. If you buy used you might be able to grab a bargain on an i7 4770k or 4790k now for people swapping out for broadwell-e. That way you could re-use some of your RAM because its DDR3. Skylake (i7 6700k) uses DDR4, and you would need to buy whole new RAM. Even if RAM is cheap now-a-days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about i5-6600k?

is it a huge diff between 6600k and 6700k?

actually, I am going to sell out my current computer. (CPU, GPU, PSU, ram, case, 22" dell)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts