Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting an E6600 with the Asus P5W Deluxe motherboard. The mobo supports DDR2 800 but I'm unsure of which type I should purchase or exactly which brand I should go with, considering the Intel E6600. I plan to do some pretty decently high overclocking on the CPU and hopefully the memory as well. I've looked at some Gskill, OCZ, and Geil, but, again, I'm not sure which brand or type to go with. I've also noticed that some of the more pricey ones come in 1000MHz. Would the E6600/P5W DH Deluxe even support that? One more thing, I'd like to get at least 1GB, but 2GB is more perferable. If anyone could recommend some great memory for the E6600 with P5W DH Deluxe, with overclocking in mind and hopefully at a decent price, I'd really appreciate it! Cheers.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Get 2g for sure...the C2d's will use more RAM than your current cpu. Dont know why...cant explain it...but FEAR never used all 996mb's of my RAM before I upgraded my cpu. Now...it begs for more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendations. Should 1000MHz types even be considered? What is everyone's take on this?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm no expert, i'd like to get a 1000 kit when i upgrade, but i think if money is of no object, why not, but if you want to be shrewd with what you have, look at the recommendations

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Faster Ram can improve your fps rates! Why wouldnt you want faster RAM? You want a faster cpu right? It only makes sense to OC the two together. Having the faster RAM will enable you to oc your cpu to levels where slower RAM would not. This is my current issue, as i cannot get my RAM above 943mhz! This means that no matter what, I cannot exceed an fsb of 471mhz, unless I use a RAM divider to slow the RAM down....which I will not do. I would look into 1000mhz+ RAM if you have a conroe..for sure. The bandwidth is there...use it.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate_AVA
Thanks for the recommendations. Should 1000MHz types even be considered? What is everyone's take on this?
You know that G.Skill kit for $299 that was recommeded by Namrac, well, there they are running at 1000mhz on a 4-4-4-8 @ 2.2v, so you don't need to spend more for 1000 modules when the DDR2 800HZ is doing that for a lot le$$.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
hey nasgul would it be possible to oc the gskills to 1066? My plan is to oc the E6600 to 3.4 and bring the multi down to 8x so i could get a ram speed of 1066. Is it possible? i would be using a ram divider 5:6

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help so far! Of course I'd like to get some with pretty low latency, but I'd rather not spend more than $350 USD on RAM. Also, some RAM that would let FSB +500MHz would be great! So are there anymore 800MHz RAM out there that could possibly run at +1000MHz and provide me those things^ too? Thanks again.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

hey nasgul would it be possible to oc the gskills to 1066? My plan is to oc the E6600 to 3.4 and bring the multi down to 8x so i could get a ram speed of 1066. Is it possible? i would be using a ram divider 5:6

BloodThirstyEmu; these modules are not even braking a sweat @ 2.2v 1000mhz, I'm sure they could go a lot higher with higher voltage but I'll try to OC a little more some other time and see how far they can be pushed.

Althogh I pretty much have an idea: F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ by G.S Technician

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems that the price of RAM has been going up instead of going down. What is up with that? When could we expect to see the price to eventually drop and when would be a good time to buy? Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts