Overclock.net banner

selling a rig

293 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  The Duke
Well my pc has done a good job for me so far, but i am looking to make a little profit out of it, and build something similar afterwards. I need some money to pay for rock climbing equipment.

I was wondering if you guys had some advice on selling a pc. If for example, i sell it and then something breaks, am i held responsible ? Would it be better to part it out ?

The thing is, if i sell it as a whole, i can put the price higher. People that pay for pre-build systems are usually willing to pay a lot since they don't really know what they are buying.

Finally, how much would you guys pay for my whole rig (without any accessories) considering the e8500 is stable at 4ghz 1,21 vcore, and 4,3 ghx with 1,31 vcore.

What are your experiences and suggestions !

Thanks a lot
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
You'll be lucky to break even so don't expect a profit unless you've put a lot of custom work into it. (Doesn't look like you have)

*(On a side-note, i'd suggest not selling it if your only looking for quick cash - if you plan on having a computer later why not just keep your current one instead of flip-flopping back and forth between selling things to get other things you want?) You just lose money in the long-run.

You can get screwed if something breaks after you sell it - someone could try to take you to small claims court for selling them junk and calling it functional. Make a disclaimer - have the buyer agree there are no returns and you're not responsible for their mistakes. If it's the honest truth that a part died - offer to help them out with RMA'ing or something.

You will find it very hard to sell an entire rig at a high price simply because there are very few people who will want your 'exact' setup. PC enthusiasts will build their own - while mainstream users will buy a nice flashy PC on ebay or a generic from a big-box store. You could sell the rig as a whole but it won't bring much cash as parting out.

Parting the rig will be the quickest way to get a fair value for the parts.

I would say $500 - $700 for everything.

Good Luck
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
You will not make a profit selling on OCN. Try something like ebay and maybe you can trick people into buying that but that would be wrong. You won't break even either.
  • Rep+
thanks a lot for the advice. it's just that being on overclock.net always makes me wanting more, seeing others rig. I am a little supprised however of the price you gave...I have had it for less then 3 months and i paid around 1200$ (without accessories). This is in canadian dollars, but still...
Quote:

Originally Posted by gablain
View Post

thanks a lot for the advice. it's just that being on overclock.net always makes me wanting more, seeing others rig. I am a little supprised however of the price you gave...I have had it for less then 3 months and i paid around 1200$ (without accessories). This is in canadian dollars, but still...

It's like cars, as soon as you've bought it...the resale value takes a hit.
See less See more
I too get caught up with wanting to upgrade my system..But all you will end up is losing money because the value of the parts will go down quick...

Ex: I brought the HD2900xt when it first came out..Trying to be up to date..Paid $365 for it last year..Now I can't even give it away..
  • Rep+
Try an "Apprasial" thread

Ask for various input...
1. Price/value here
2. Pricevalue on ebay
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.