Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was thinking about getting a Sempron 140 and do some crazy overclocks on my current platform.

I do this because I don't feel like pushing much more my poor Phenom, it's just 4 months old and it's been most of his life under some heavy 55% increase over stock speed and under some hich voltages. Not to mention crazy validations at 4424Mhz and stuff like that with crazy voltages (1.62V at that speed just to keep the whole thing stable enough)

Just to do some wicked stuff like doing valids at 4.8Ghz on H2O and stupidities like that.

If I'm not wrong, the processor's low TDP should allow me to do pretty high speeds with my current board/RAM/cooling solution, am i correct? If it can handle a Phenom clocked at 4.2GHz for some LinX stress under 58ºC, why not a Sempron at 4.6GHz under its treshold?

Suggestions are welcome.

Edit: Browsing the nets I found that 145 is based on the C3 stepping. That should help a bit on my overclocks right?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
The Sempron 140 should overclock nicely. The average wall people hit with it on air is about 3.7GHz, I'm sure you can top it. And yes, the C3 revision is always best for OCing.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow cool!

I got retail prices here around €37 for the 140 and around €45 for the 145. Is it worth those extra (LOL!) 8€ for a better stepping and a higher multiplier?

And yes, the question is as dumb as it seems to be XD

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i hit 4.0 pretty easily when i was playing with it.... now it's undervolted and chugging along happily running my storage server.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good! I'm aiming for a bit more, at least 4.2Ghz valids.

My intentions are only using it for serious overclocks, as I've already got an Opty 1214 @2.87Ghz serving the storage server purpose. I think it works better than the Sempy for that.

Thanks

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,289 Posts
Hey, also it has a chance to unlock into a dual core Athlon II. If that floats your boat of course. ^^

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
Hey, also it has a chance to unlock into a dual core Athlon II. If that floats your boat of course. ^^
This is true but if that second core works it will probably have trouble OCing as well as the first core, otherwise it would have been an Athlon II.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post
Wow cool!

I got retail prices here around €37 for the 140 and around €45 for the 145. Is it worth those extra (LOL!) 8€ for a better stepping and a higher multiplier?

And yes, the question is as dumb as it seems to be XD
Go for it. Gonna spend the money anyways. I haven't heard of the Sempron 145 until this thread though.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It'd be great if my server board had ACC capabilities... Shame on me for not having enough money for that >_<

Only my main rig board supports ACC and I'm planning using it as a Sempy with the most powerful core enabled. But hey, it would be good to see how far it can go when it's unlocked.

And I could do some gaming comparisons between the three, the Sempy, the Athlon and the Phenom.

This is getting more and more exciting every post I read!

@BlackHoleSon: Yep, it has the multiplier fixed at 14 (oops my bad, it's not 14.5) instead of 13.5 and it uses a C3 stepping core ^^

Edit: It's still to be launched, ETA 9/21/10

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking for an excuse to say to my dad I'm buying a new part XD

Even tho I pay it with my well-earned money, he still wants to know why am I buying parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts