Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which one you would recommended? Are they worth there price brackets?

I have a motherboard run sound card.. no real intention of buying a sound card for at least 6 - 12 months..

Play UnrealIII, CSS, GRAW, prob COD4 and MW legends when it comes out as well as DAW DAW2 and Total War Series

Mic is obviously usefully, but I could very well invest in Zalman Mic 1!

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sennheiser hd555's blow the pc165's out of the water and also check out the Audio Technica ATH-700.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I agree, never buy a usb headset.

I have the Sennheiser PC350 (it's fairly expensive though) and I love it. Comes with a microphone and everything. I play mainly counter strike 1.6 and it's perfect for gaming.

Also, ask yourself if you want closed back headphones or open headphones. Open headphones, as the name suggests is more "leaky" and as a result, for gaming (in my opinion) i don't think it is suitable; so in your case, the Senn HD555 would be a poor choice.

If you're looking for good closed back headphones for all around use (both portable music and gaming) I would instead point you towards the Audio Technica ATH-A700 Headphones. This with a zalman mic would do the job for you.

If you're looking for a closed back headset used primarily for gaming (and computer music too!) then the Sennheiser PC350 is probably your best bet, depending on your budget.

I would also recommend to you that you invest in a sound card first, before buying any decent pair of headphones, only reason is because it won't sound as good and you'll get lackluster performance without a good soundcard.

jam3s

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay budget for myself would be around the £80.00 mark Audio Technica ATH-A700 was something like £150 after only a very quick search..

I'm unsure whether it would be good to have a close cup as I'm sure the annoying wife will be throwing things at me without me knowing about it.. but need to consider it still

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also a love my housemusic, breakbeats, drum and base so need to consider that as well..

Might have to push up my budget to £100..

I will get a decent sound card intime but I would get the headphones first.. reason.. my current headphones won't reach the back of the rigg so it would redundant access till I get the phones! Hence currently climate and all I can only get one at a time

·
Lep
1,385 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie View Post
never buy a usb headset... get the HD555's for sure.
!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have HD280pro's and think they are great, but I hear your sound card can make a big difference to these, and I will say it does take some tweaking to realy get the best of them. I still often consider buying some HD555's, but am sticking to closed back for the moment so as not to annoy the neighbours
So if you dont mind sound leakage go for the HD555.

·
Registered
196 Posts
sennheiser headsets generally sound like crap. i have a senn pc350 and did some modding to it to get the sound better. i've had the lower models as well. the hd215 isolates well, has great range and can handle anything u throw at it. but it has a harsh sound as well, thudding bass, screechy mids and highs. it can be found for 40$ id u look araound and its worth it at that price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.. would anyone recommend the creative range then? or anything within a budget of 80 pounds¬!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Mine cost like $89. It has USB and standard PC audio connectors -- and loved using it while playing EQ2 -- mic was terrific.

But the next one I get will be the new Turtle Beach one, which has attachable jacks for almost everything (often have problems with jacks failing, and that solves the problem!). Nice to have one headset that will operate on portables, let alone your stereo, too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sennheiser is a top brand thats been around in pro audio before there ever was a PC. If you get a good Sennheiser unit no Creative headset in the world could shine its shoes.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
HD555s all the way, great starter cans

·
Registered
177 Posts
They look pretty nice but closed sets get hot and tiring for long usage. If you have a noisy background and good a/c they look pretty good. How much are they?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
about 45 sterling!

Just checking what I could get for a reasonable price range.. I know about 20 sterling will get me the HD555 but far with mixed reviews.. I might just get the best and be done with it! PC 350!!! or stay out of the brand.. go down to my local HMV and get some DJ headphones and be done with it

·
Registered
177 Posts
You don't need to spend that kind of money for a gaming headphone. It's too much of a gimmick and like I said it will be hot and uncomfortable unless you have a cold room. The ones I recommended are a steal and will outperform headphones costing alot more and they are so light you will forget you have them on. I have 3 pairs of Sennies and these are the best value among them. I use them with nice mid-fi stereo and they are fantastic.

Plus without significantly upgrading your sound card from o/b any good headphone is going to be a big waste of money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts