Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i sent my g.skill ddr2 667 4-4-4-12 back, its rated at 1.8-2.0V so i figure thats why its incompatible with my motherboard...

so what memory to buy? ive got $270 to work with, so i'd like to keep it under $320 or so, my dad said i can pay him back...

thing is, im not sure what is and isn't compatible with my motherboard... its the one in my specs - the 965G with integrated graphics even though im using a 7800gt.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
you should've gotten the 965P ifyou have a 7800gt. the G doesn't OC as well.

if you can shell out the extra $30. these
if not, then these.
or some OCZ.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
G.skill800>>>>>>>>patriot667. if you're going to get some heavy OC'ing going, you're going to want some 800.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrado

G.skill800>>>>>>>>patriot667. if you're going to get some heavy OC'ing going, you're going to want some 800.

yea but theres no difference, those reviews all say it runs at ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 anyways, so it wouldnt make a difference, ill be ocing heavily but the thing is, ill run it at ddr2 533 since my fsb is 1066mhz anyways, and then i'll just overclock it from there... so what does it matter if its ddr2 667 4-4-4-10 or ddr2 800 5-5-5-15?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry... feel free to make other suggestions, but make it 1.8V since theres a good chance that this memory doesnt work out too lol

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fade2green514

none of this memory is rated at 1.8V - my motherboard requires a default voltage of 1.8V!!

nevermind i bought the kit i found... it has more reviews at higher ratings than any of that memory anyways...

What reviews are you referring to? I hope you're not talking about Newegg comments made from anyone smart enough to create a password. Also, you keep mentioning 1.8V as default, but what is the highest Vdimm setting your BIOS allows?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't know what the highest voltage supported by the bios is, but nobody has seemed to have a compatibility problem with this memory yet and ddr2 667 4-4-4-12 is good enough for me... supposedly this stuff is overclockable to ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 anyways...
so if i up the voltage and loosen the timings i can probly o/c it right alongside the cpu...

the motherboard manual says it only supports 1.8V as a default voltage... as for what i can change it to i don't know, i have absolutely no experience with intel chipsets... my first rig was an nforce 3, then i had an nforce 4...

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

i don't know what the highest voltage supported by the bios is, but nobody has seemed to have a compatibility problem with this memory yet and ddr2 667 4-4-4-12 is good enough for me... supposedly this stuff is overclockable to ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 anyways...
so if i up the voltage and loosen the timings i can probly o/c it right alongside the cpu...

the motherboard manual says it only supports 1.8V as a default voltage... as for what i can change it to i don't know, i have absolutely no experience with intel chipsets... my first rig was an nforce 3, then i had an nforce 4...

All you have to do is get into your BIOS and look.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
All you have to do is get into your BIOS and look.
look through the thread - i dont have the computer up and running. i did buy the memory, but it hasnt shipped yet.
in fact i have a feeling my case switch is defective, so ill have to buy a new case. thing was a $30 piece of crap.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

look through the thread - i dont have the computer up and running.

You didn't state that anywhere in this thread

Quote:

i did buy the memory, but it hasnt shipped yet.
in fact i have a feeling my case switch is defective, so ill have to buy a new case. thing was a $30 piece of crap.

You don't need a case to get your computer up and running. If your switch is broken, you can replace it for far less than buying an entirely new case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts