Fold on!
6,815 Posts

·
OC...D
27,802 Posts

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
[email protected] tasks running with CUDA on the latest OpenMM, generally perform anywhere from 20-60% better (depending on the simulation) than the same tasks running with OpenCL. Should be a big boost for all NVIDIA cards once the CUDA [email protected] core is used to build more [email protected] WUs.
Not sure if you've seen it, but here is a little quote from Jesse_V from the folding forum.
Those numbers are insane and are in the range of your numbers!
Jesse_V said:
p13426 at 10% in Windows 10 on GTX 1080 Ti running OpenCL: TPF of 1:57
p13426 at 10% in Windows 10 on GTX 1080 Ti running CUDA: TPF of 1:16
p13426 at 10% in Debian on GTX 1080 Ti running OpenCL: TPF of 1:34
p13426 at 10% in Debian on GTX 1080 Ti running CUDA: TPF of 0:59

So if Windows-OpenCL is our baseline, then on this project, the speed improvements are:
Windows-CUDA: +53%
Debian-OpenCL: +24%
Debian-CUDA: +98%
CUDA average: +75%

The core will attempt to use CUDA when available. This translates into a very significant gain in PPD, as Adam Beberg found for another project across different Nvidia hardware in Linux:

TPF 73s - GTX 1080Ti running OpenCL/ 1.554 M PPD
TPF 57s - GTX 1080Ti running CUDA / 2.253 M PPD
TPF 49s - RTX 2080Ti running OpenCL/ 2.826 M PPD
TPF 39s - RTX 2080Ti running CUDA / 3.981 M PPD
TPF 36s - RTX 3080 running OpenCL / 4.489 M PPD
TPF 31s - RTX 3080 running CUDA / 5.618 M PPD

Yes, beta client for sure.
I've got to admit, I was running "client-type advanced" from sunday.
The beta units I received were really low ppd so I switched for the comp :p

[edit]
I picked up one of the big ones too. P13437 R50 C6 G8, 5.5 mil ppd!

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
Yeah I've got a lot of fine tuning to do but I'm just blown away considering I've never had a card that can do over 1M PPD and now I have one that's capable of 4M PPD bursts. Crazy stuff.
I understand that. When I started folding with my 2080ti the ppd was so silly that it actually got me interested in getting serious about folding all the time. It feels like weeks worth of progress every day.

·
OC...D
27,802 Posts
QED?

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Indeed, good folding this month, guys. Impressive numbers for the smaller participation we had.

·
AMD Gamer
608 Posts
weird, none of my wu's are showing under ocn despite being configured as such. I've made zero changes to my clients in months

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
Thanks for that link! It's got a lot of stats that the [email protected] stats link doesn't give me.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks for that link! It's got a lot of stats that the [email protected] stats link doesn't give me.
Yeah the only issue with it is if you fold for different teams, even with the same username and passkey and everything, your points for each team will be on a different page with the same username. That's why I have three stats links in my signature, but they're all useful.

·
AMD Gamer
608 Posts
Is this not you? Looks like you just got started up again.
I kept forgetting to start my clients for the foldathons. I finally remembered, maybe I'm just reading it wrong. if I go to the [email protected] user stat page, it shows me as folding for the default team

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I kept forgetting to start my clients for the foldathons. I finally remembered, maybe I'm just reading it wrong. if I go to the [email protected] user stat page, it shows me as folding for the default team
Based on the active client count, yeah that's what that looks like. However, I'm honestly inclined to believe EOC over official stats as far as active clients go, but seeing it folding for the default team is something new. Maybe give it a bit longer if you don't mind continuing to fold and see if the trend continues.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts