Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly i have done MANY things to try and sort out this really annoying sound, i have replaced my graphics card and my PSU & heat-sink with no luck!

After doing all of this i am positive it is the MB or the CPU that is causing the issue... If i listen inside the case it sounds as if the noise is coming from the rear side of the MB and CPU.

The sound is very very small, but a frequency that is enough to drive anyone mad. It almost feels like it is in the back of your ear.

The sound is constant from the computer starting up, to even when the computer is off, i can sill hear is slightly. :/

My CPU is a Intel i72600
My MB is a Asus P8P67 Evo

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,946 Posts
I'm not replying because I'm hoping to get rewarded. My reward comes to me when I make the attempt to help.

Anyway, does this sound still occur even if the power supply is turned off and unplugged? You don't have to unplug it from the wall, but you can unplug it right from the back of the PSU.

I'm not yet convinced that this is coming from any part of your system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

If i unplug everything and the motherboard still has some power left in it, the sound faintly remains. Once all power is gone from the system, the sound is gone.

I'm positive the motherboard/CPU is the culprit.

Do you think a power conditioner could help?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by COOLMAN101
View Post

Thank you for the reply!

If i unplug everything and the motherboard still has some power left in it, the sound faintly remains. Once all power is gone from the system, the sound is gone.

I'm positive the motherboard/CPU is the culprit.

Do you have a wireless router in your room?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by COOLMAN101
View Post

Yes i do, however i cant see the problem being related because my previous build made no noise at all...

Power off the wireless, and see if it goes away.

Every wireless unit I've purchased over the years, after a little while, develops an awful case of transformer squeal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound is still there, do p6p87 boards/i7 2600 have any known issues/fixes when it comes to the high pitched noise?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,946 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but is your computer properly grounded? If it is "squealing" then there is nothing you can do, short of an RMA.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I seem to suggest this a lot on this forum, but it does sound as though it could be the chokes (little square black things) around the CPU/RAM (although the fact that it does it with the PC off is unusual). The windings in these things can shift and start to vibrate with the PWM frequency, causing a high pitch whine/squeal.

Nothing you can do about it, though

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

Power off the wireless, and see if it goes away.

Every wireless unit I've purchased over the years, after a little while, develops an awful case of transformer squeal.

Iv got a 6 year old access point that has yet to do this...

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander
View Post

Iv got a 6 year old access point that has yet to do this...

I've had 2 Netgear units and a linksys develop it.

The high pitched squeals are hard to trace, because the sound waves that high like to bounce off things.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

I've had 2 Netgear units and a linksys develop it.

The high pitched squeals are hard to trace, because the sound waves that high like to bounce off things.

Yea I know the sound you are talking about. A lot of lower quality electronics tend to have a higher chance to produce the noise. I have heard it before. I have heard many different stories about where the noise comes from, but I still do not know for sure what electronic component is responsible. Iv heard it could be capacitors or voltage regulators etc. But im just not certain. I may have just gotten lucky with a solid access point. 6 years old is pretty good and it is still going strong.

As for the OP, I would point toward maybe there is a component on the motherboard that is bad from the factory. But I cant say for sure what the problem is sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the help guys, i just really would like to keep this thread alive... since i know many others with the same problem will be searching for hours with no success.

If anyone has any other information or suggestions it would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLMAN101;15216715
Can i still RMA if i do not have the box?
Should be able to. You would have to ask the manufacturer to be sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts