Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 systems built with asus p4c800-e mobos and both have sata hard drives. both systems are built correctly and the drives are detected properly. but yet i can never seem to install windows xp on these systems and it took more than one try on my lga rig. the setup files are always loaded but the first screen never comes up to let me install the os it always freezes and after a million tries i was able to install it once on one of the systems but then i cannot boot from the hard drive it constantly wants to install the software again. i dont know whats going on but after putting together the 2nd rig and all the hardware being brand new it cannot be a hardware problem at all i have swapped ram, video cards, hard drives, cd roms, and checked bios temps and i cannot get the systems to work at all. i also have 2 copies of xp one student copy and one legitimate copy i bought for myself and they both behave the same. i have been frustrated for days and the manuals have given me no ideas so i turn to ask you guys to help me out in any way you possibly can. thanks

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
i would suggest unplugging everything and starting again slowly. make sure that every cable is the right way around...triple check. if that still does not work then try an ide hard drive. maybe that motherboard has problems with the sata drive you are using. try a biod upgrade and see if you have any more luck. if you had not said you swapped it then i would suggest ram as this seems to be the main problem when installing windows. also what type of windows are you installing? xp? home/pro/corp?? i am sure that if the system has gone wrong twice then ther is something we can do to fix it, lets hope it is simple.
hope this gives you some ideas, rep if i helped plz.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i checked all my cables and they are fine its a very simple setup no sound card and vid card requires no power its crappy 1 hd and 1 cd rom. so its a real simple setup. as for ide hard drives i have 1 10 gig i salvaged form some crpa computer the bios detected it but i was unable to install xp on it and that drive happened to have win 98 on it and it didnt even boot that. the new rig happens i have the newest revisions and bios so its fully updated. both copies of xp are pro the newer having sp2 on it. im gonna try another pair of ram its interesting to me that you mentioned that. otherwise i still dont know what to do but ill try another scenario or 2. thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I constantly hear people talking about how much they had to go through to use sata drives... I never had to do a thing, it all just worked

anyway, dig around in your bios and see if there are some settings regarding pata and sata and the different configurations possible... there should be several options in there... make sure everything is enabled, the bios recognizes all your hardware, and that youve configured the boot up order

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i messed with alot of bios settings and still no luck. i think crashed is right the chair might be introduced to the rig lol.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i happened to get lucky and install xp but after the setup is over and the computer restarts it does not boot off the hard drive it just starts to go to through the installation process again. booting from hard drive without a cd in the drive says boot media not detected so it detects the hard drive in bios and installs xp luckily but doesnt do anything after that. i still just dont get it

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all the drivers seem to deal with setting up raid configuration im just trying to run one sata drive. i am though looking at the contents of the mobo cd and will attempt to do that.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrbsti

all the drivers seem to deal with setting up raid configuration im just trying to run one sata drive. i am though looking at the contents of the mobo cd and will attempt to do that.

You still have to install the drivers
Just skip the raid setup.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
yeah, most people still have to install the drivers... I didnt when I first built this comp and it detected both sata drives perfectly... never had a problem

do what everyone else has to do tho and see if that works

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
it puzzles me that you had the same error from an ide hard drive. that seems to lead to the motherboard but it has happened twice! have u managed to use the sata drives in amy other mobo?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still got problem i can never fully install the sata drivers it always says "canot recognize file format and it said that on my asus and asrock mobos. it seems like my dfi mobo is the most user friendly mobo ever

1 - 15 of 15 Posts