Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i need help deciding between a couple cpu's
i am building a server build for super advanced editing and rendering of super high quaility video and i most likely will be doing extreme gaming so keep that in mind

I need to know if

the Intel Xeon W3520 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

or the Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz

or the Intel Xeon W3550 Bloomfield 3.06GHz

will be most optimal for my build i will have two of whatever processor on the evga sr2 mobo both water cooled with four gtx 580's; now my question is in your opinon which would be the best for my build or if there are any other server processors out there that are better and for around 300-400$ each.

(if you own any of these please tell me any pros or cons according to you experience)
thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i am not actually using it as a server but; like i said i do advanced editing that requires a high end system

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat
View Post

Advanced rendering? Get a single Xeon, and pack it with GTX580s or Quaddros and use the GPU power instead.

I agree, rendering with GPUs is usually much more efficient. However, you should not get Quaddros if you plan on any gaming.

Personally, I think you should get an i7 2600k or (preferably) wait until Ivy Bridge is released along with the NEW enthusiast/extreme CPUs. I think Xeons are overpriced, and that you should opt for a single CPU setup.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks for the suggestions, i was thinking the dual cpu is overkill so i will most likely wait till Intel releases its new ivy bridge

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
How often are you gonna do extreme gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikat;12025512
Advanced rendering? Get a single Xeon, and pack it with GTX580s or Quaddros and use the GPU power instead.
+1

Don't get the quaddros if you're gonna play games.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts