·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
smile.gif

First... Sorry for bad english!
smile.gif

Second... I want to build Server for small business.

We have 2 laptops and 2 PC's for now. I like to connect them all with server.

Server will be used as workstation too for drawing. Or it's bad option?

What WINDOWS version for server i need? 2012 R2 or smt like that!? What windows i need for laptops and other PC? PRO versions or smt?

What hardware i need for this type of job and to connect 4-5 PC to it . RAID? extension cards? Cables? Router?

CPU, MOBO, RAM(EEC?), PSU, GPU, HDD or SSD. - some good advice for this!

I would like to connect to my server from home if needed!

I have build 6 Gaming PC for me but no server! So i don't want to do this in wrong way! So i ask for ''little'' help to more experienced people!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiaKsLV View Post

Hello!
smile.gif

First... Sorry for bad english!
smile.gif

Second... I want to build Server for small business.

We have 2 laptops and 2 PC's for now. I like to connect them all with server.

Server will be used as workstation too for drawing. Or it's bad option?

What WINDOWS version for server i need? 2012 R2 or smt like that!? What windows i need for laptops and other PC? PRO versions or smt?

What hardware i need for this type of job and to connect 4-5 PC to it . RAID? extension cards? Cables? Router?

CPU, MOBO, RAM(EEC?), PSU, GPU, HDD or SSD. - some good advice for this!

I would like to connect to my server from home if needed!

I have build 6 Gaming PC for me but no server! So i don't want to do this in wrong way! So i ask for ''little'' help to more experienced people!
thumb.gif
Can select from these! https://www.1a.lv/datoru_komponentes_tikla_produkti/serveri/serveri/1

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post

What do you want to do with the server? That is the first question that can lead to answers for the rest.
I want store the project files from all 4 work pc, Make virtual win XP for laser cuter program to be accessible to all my workers. connect all 4 pc to server. Can server be used like work place for one worker?

·
Linux > All
1,676 Posts
For a business you would be best served going to Dell and checking out their servers. You don't need a big expensive machine for file server stuff and a single XP vm. For the OS I would use Debian or Ubuntu server with kvm to run the XP virtual machine. No sense blowing money on a Windows license unless you have no choice.

You can use it as a workstation but that is a terrible idea. The main reason being that the more someone is fiddling with a system, the more chances something can go bad on it. For a server that your whole business relies on you need maximum stability. Not a good idea to have it be a workstation where someone can screw around with it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post

For a business you would be best served going to Dell and checking out their servers. You don't need a big expensive machine for file server stuff and a single XP vm. For the OS I would use Debian or Ubuntu server with kvm to run the XP virtual machine. No sense blowing money on a Windows license unless you have no choice.

You can use it as a workstation but that is a terrible idea. The main reason being that the more someone is fiddling with a system, the more chances something can go bad on it. For a server that your whole business relies on you need maximum stability. Not a good idea to have it be a workstation where someone can screw around with it.
Ok! I will buy 2 simple PC for adobe work!

from thos?

https://www.1a.lv/compare/products/datoru_komponentes_tikla_produkti/serveri/serveri/dell_poweredge_t20_272593490/dell_poweredge_t30_pet3002/dell_poweredge_t130_pet130e4a1220_g

can you send me some links for ubuntu server setting? I will do research by my self but some lead can help!
smile.gif

·
Politically incorrect
9,398 Posts
First thing you need to do is set Samba up on the server, that is the most important thing for a file server.

Then you need to set KVM up to run the XP VM.

Why use Linux and not Windows as file server? Because Linux is stable and is meant to be used in server environments. Windows Server is good too but Windows is almost never used in professional servers because it's just not as good (in fact having used Windows in my server I can say Windows is terrible compared with Linux). You Will need to learn how to use Linux but once you know how to set it up but once it's set up you will see how wonderful Linux actually is.

You can use Debian and Ubuntu Server but you can also use Mint or OpenSuse or CentOS. I use Mint 18.1 XFCE and love it. It's not a real server distro but it doesn't matter, it's Linux and any Linux can be used as a server. In fact the easiest Linux to set up as a simple file server is Puppy. Puppy Linux is so easy to set up it's ridiculous. Unfortunately Puppy isn't suitable for KVM or a professional server. If you don't mind using VirtualBox and you really want a simple Linux then Puppy is perfect.

If ever I need a simple file server I will definitely use Puppy. Sharing folders or drives with other computers is terribly easy with Puppy. The only problem with Puppy is that a lot of software is outdated but it's still far better than Synology or any other NAS device.

So, if I were you I would look into Debian first as Debian is very powerful. If you don't like Debian you can look into Ubuntu Server, Mint, OpenSuse and CentOS (CentOS is a little hard to use). Different people like different Linux distro's so it's not a bad idea to test them and see which one you like.

• Rep+
Reactions: ManiaKsLV

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

First thing you need to do is set Samba up on the server, that is the most important thing for a file server.

Then you need to set KVM up to run the XP VM.

Why use Linux and not Windows as file server? Because Linux is stable and is meant to be used in server environments. Windows Server is good too but Windows is almost never used in professional servers because it's just not as good (in fact having used Windows in my server I can say Windows is terrible compared with Linux). You Will need to learn how to use Linux but once you know how to set it up but once it's set up you will see how wonderful Linux actually is.

You can use Debian and Ubuntu Server but you can also use Mint or OpenSuse or CentOS. I use Mint 18.1 XFCE and love it. It's not a real server distro but it doesn't matter, it's Linux and any Linux can be used as a server. In fact the easiest Linux to set up as a simple file server is Puppy. Puppy Linux is so easy to set up it's ridiculous. Unfortunately Puppy isn't suitable for KVM or a professional server. If you don't mind using VirtualBox and you really want a simple Linux then Puppy is perfect.

If ever I need a simple file server I will definitely use Puppy. Sharing folders or drives with other computers is terribly easy with Puppy. The only problem with Puppy is that a lot of software is outdated but it's still far better than Synology or any other NAS device.

So, if I were you I would look into Debian first as Debian is very powerful. If you don't like Debian you can look into Ubuntu Server, Mint, OpenSuse and CentOS (CentOS is a little hard to use). Different people like different Linux distro's so it's not a bad idea to test them and see which one you like.
Hi! Nice explanation! I need only 5 PC connected to server computer to share files. Can i get connected remote to file server from home with LINUX system? VM XP is one of prioritys. I will look for Mint and puppy combo! What Virtual soft i need for XP VM? Oracle VirtualBox?

this will work?

https://linuxnewbieguide.org/how-to-setup-a-kvm-server-the-fast-way/

·
Politically incorrect
9,398 Posts
I've never used KVM and use VirtualBox. The VM (Virtual Machine) is several months old and works very well so I don't want to switch to another solution.

Why would you want to run Mint and Puppy? Just run one and everything will be fine. In fact you can also look into OpenMediaVault, it's based on Debian, has a web based GUI so you can access it from any PC and is really easy to use.

http://www.openmediavault.org/

This is used in several large networks of 200 plus computers so it's suitable for servers, more so than Mint. I intend to switch to this next time I need to reinstall my server's OS.

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiaKsLV View Post

I want store the project files from all 4 work pc, Make virtual win XP for laser cuter program to be accessible to all my workers. connect all 4 pc to server. Can server be used like work place for one worker?
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'll offer my ideas anyway.
tongue.gif

After you build this server, will you be the one looking after it or will it be someone else? Also, does the laser cutter program have a restriction on licensing? If not, you could install VirtualBox on each work PC/laptop and create a VM for XP, then install the laser cutter program. The other way would be to run the XP VM on the server and RDP into it, but I don't know if XP supports that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need server for file storage and one VM for XP i have only one usb dongle for one machine!

And its only for me! i already buy 2 ryzen machines! for workstation and dell server! 2 windows 10 pro licenses and 2 adobe licenses. i now try to setup my server!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts