Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Do you really need a dedicated box for that low of a load?
You could probably easily get by with a VPS or something.

Would be a lot cheaper, and you don't have to pay co-location fees as well (I'm assuming your bandwidth at home isn't really sufficient for hosting things).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's funny how I can never get a straight answer to my questions here. But in a day or two someone else will ask the same question and get 25 reply's in 3hours!! I understand and appreciate the help, but I just want to know what MOBO works best !

Someone wants me to build him a server to host his site and a few more in the future, I have a chance to make a few bucks, I have suggested to him other options, this is what he wants to do....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Any I understand you want to make a few bucks, but for the solution it's not worth the hardware investment.

And if the server is for a legitimate job you may be held responsible for lost time and profit.

A VPS would be a better solution for hosting and you would have support / guaranteed uptime.

I can't really recommend a server motherboard because I don't know the projected load on the site. Most of the server grade boards are dual socket and there's no budget constraint.

Is he going to host from his place of residence or send off to a hosting datacenter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts